Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 05:26 AM

American cookies (biscuits)

WE tried some when over in the USA and sorry to say although they looked nice they had absolutely no taste or flavour. This is where in the UK we beat the Americans hands down.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 06:27 AM

Re: American cookies (biscuits)

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
WE tried some when over in the USA and sorry to say although they looked nice they had absolutely no taste or flavour. This is where in the UK we beat the Americans hands down.
EXCUSE ME, YANK IN THE FORUM !!!!!!!!!!

heheheh, just kidding with you, don't take me seriously.

Don't like Oreos, Chunky Chips Ahoy, Mrs Fields, Famous Amos, etc ?

I like a lot of your sweet things, like Bakewell Tarts, Eccles cakes, Double Decker bars, Lion Bars, Victoria Sponge cake, etc
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 10:02 AM

We have a few of your biccies and cakes imported you can et them in most supermarkets now, have to admit they are not a patch on ours. I really wanted to like them but they lack taste and texture IMO

Oreos are not nice at all, give me a bourbon any day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 10:12 AM

I don't buy any cakes and biscuits, home made are so much better though I rarely eat any these days except the highly flavoured ginger biscuits I make for the children
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 10:53 AM

My favourite biscuits are ANZAC biscuits, I have never liked cream or chocolate biscuits.

Having said that I usually buy Gingernut biscuits, saving the ANZACs for special occasions.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
EXCUSE ME, YANK IN THE FORUM !!!!!!!!!!

heheheh, just kidding with you, don't take me seriously.

Don't like Oreos, Chunky Chips Ahoy, Mrs Fields, Famous Amos, etc ?

I like a lot of your sweet things, like Bakewell Tarts, Eccles cakes, Double Decker bars, Lion Bars, Victoria Sponge cake, etc
We don"t buy biscuits or cakes when we are over , but one thing we were introduced to was "Bears Paws", sort of "Danish pastry , quite yummy.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Oreos... yuk! Never had any others so can't comment but I do like Keylime Pie and New York cheesecake mmm
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:57 PM

I agree with Meg, that homemade is so much better than that store bought crap. And it *is* crap. Cookies off the shelves are nothing but overly-processed junk food filled with high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils and zero flavor. Not ALL of them, but most.

When you make cookies/biscuits at home, you know what's in them.

I'm not a big sweet eater, thankfully. Because I hate baking and I won't eat store-bought cookies.

And while we're on the subject, I just had 2 crumpets for breakfast, I can only find them in one store. And I wonder... are crumpets supposed to be spongey? Or is that just the crappy way people in the US make them?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:02 PM

They are spongy but some more so than others. I like oatcakes, they're a bit like big flat crumpets - lovely toasted with butter. Can you get them there?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:08 PM

I toasted mine and put butter on them. They're good, I just wondered if the texture of crumpets in the US (which you can't find in many places) is the texture of crumpets in the UK.

Oat cakes, have never seen anything like that in the stores, but I suppose I could make my own if I can find a recipe. Sounds good, as I love oats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top