Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Why not make drugs legal

Even the police know they are losing the war on drugs.
If people want to take stuff they will, you cannot stop it. When a political party say they are going hard on drug crime they are just trying to catch you vote.
I do not take anything except the drugs my GP prescribes, that includes, alcohol ( one of the most dangerous drugs ) tobacco, coffee or any of these new substances which the police don't know about yet.
The whole thing is becomng a joke. A couple near us were caught growing marijuana plants, the police raided the house, the couple had to go to court, they got legal aid because they were on low income. The magistrate fined them £65.00 and said that this would be on their record for two years. Can you imagine how much all this costed us, the tax payer. The people who are getting up to these little games think the whole thing is a laugh. If you want to smoke or take stuff you can easily find it in the UK. Is there any point in continuing with this farce.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Re: Why not make drugs legal

An interesting concept. Millions of pounds are dealt with,cartels dominate some parts of the world and use drug money to buy arms and fund child prostitution.

I`m not sure.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
An interesting concept. Millions of pounds are dealt with,cartels dominate some parts of the world and use drug money to buy arms and fund child prostitution.

I`m not sure.
Do you think it is only the sales of drugs which funds these disgraceful and immoral activities, this is just one of many sources of cash. What about blood diamonds and blood gold or the seizing of aid funds that we give think that we are helping genuine people who need assistance.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:06 PM

I don't condone the taking of drugs in any way, even the so called 'safer' drugs are known to bring on personality disorders in certain types. This is my real worry. However as you say things aren't working at the moment and there needs to be change of some sort.

Although many more teenageers/adults now take drugs these days, if they were legalised I feel it would encourage even more people to take them. Had they been legal many year's ago, I think I'm pretty sure I would have done so, as being a smoker in those days, it would have been so easy. I just like staying within the 'law'. Certainly any revenue raised would need to be used to open many rehabilitation clinics and we'd need more psychotherapists - not nearly enough now for all the suffers of depression.

We do need change but in what way I haven't got a clue!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:35 PM

At first I thought it was a better idea - now, not so sure
The problem with drugs is that they create such a change in personality as with too much alcohol. So, for that reason its a no .....
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Can't legalise something just because we appear to be losing the battle - stiffer penalties for growing cannabis and longer prison sentences for drug smugglers, they wreak havoc with peoples' lives..
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 02:46 PM

Yes have to agree with cranberry, it seems wrong to legalise something because of losing the battle. It's a dreadful problem and is indeed wrecking so many lives, not just the addict but their family as well, often permanently.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
I don't condone the taking of drugs in any way, even the so called 'safer' drugs are known to bring on personality disorders in certain types. This is my real worry. However as you say things aren't working at the moment and there needs to be change of some sort.

Although many more teenageers/adults now take drugs these days, if they were legalised I feel it would encourage even more people to take them. Had they been legal many year's ago, I think I'm pretty sure I would have done so, as being a smoker in those days, it would have been so easy. I just like staying within the 'law'. Certainly any revenue raised would need to be used to open many rehabilitation clinics and we'd need more psychotherapists - not nearly enough now for all the suffers of depression.

We do need change but in what way I haven't got a clue!
Marion, it is really nice to communicate with you again, I must be honest and say I tried a few things when I was young, especially when visiting some of my rich friends. This stuff costs lots of money. I was not impressed with any of it, even alcohol made me feel rough the next day. Some of my friends did get addicted but I don't even get hooked on some of the stuff that these GP's give out, even though they warn you to be careful, we are all different. People will smoke or take drugs whether it is legal or not, all the police ever do is play catch up. There is stuff coming in now with increadable power and the law haven't even discovered it yet it often comes in as fertiliser or industrial chemical, they don't stand a chance of detection. The whole thing is silly.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Can't legalise something just because we appear to be losing the battle - stiffer penalties for growing cannabis and longer prison sentences for drug smugglers, they wreak havoc with peoples' lives..
You will never stop it, as fast as you put someone in prison aother two will take over his patch and these people learn all the tricks, this is really big business. You need a relatively small area to grow £100,000 of marijuana per year. Does this sound worth the risk, many think it does.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Having lived as caretaker in a house that was shelter to a number of individuals taking an array of substances, and witnessing three drug related deaths there. I am not convinced that making someone an outlaw for using is/was the way to tackle it. Neither do I believe that compulsion to treatment is of help either. Addiction is powerful and no amount of law making or forced treatment programmes are of much help. A person has to reach their personal rock bottom before they might be persuaded away from their addiction. My idea is to fight chemicals with equally powerful chemicals, like the heroin substitute they already offer to those that want it. However and whatever it must be with the approval and acceptance of each individual addict to have any hope of success.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top