Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Disappointed

My wife and I had Book Token for Christmas and today we thought we'd go up to the MK "city centre" to look what's on offer at the bigger WH Smiths as my token is one of theirs.

What a disappointment!

I made a list of paperbacks I'd like by some fairly high-profile authors so I expected to get at least one of them - nope.

I went to two other so-called book shops too - nope.

What these places now stock is not a patch on what I once spent hours browsing through.

I'm an avid reader and I'm having to go online to try to find some of the books I want to read now and, if need be, I'll use Amazon if that's the only way to get them.

High Street chains have just lost another customer as far as I'm concerned. stevmk2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Re: Disappointed

So what did you get with your W H Smith's token Steve?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:30 PM

Is there no independent Book Shops Steve close by ?
WHS are not the book shop i use to know,my SIL owns a small book shop and on occasions my daughter will send me a book token and i struggled to find anything interesting from WHS and when i added a £4.00 monthly magazine i was told i couldn't spend it on that.

Waterstones have taken over the big book market ,in Nottingham ..i liked going in Dixons but they no longer exist in Nottingham now.
If you buy on line Steve buy from an independent shop ,
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:34 PM

WHS went down the pan some time ago-I`m with Eliza-Waterstones are the only chain left worth using.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
So what did you get with your W H Smith's token Steve?
There's an author whose books I quite enjoyed called Paul Christopher, (actually he's US author Charles McCarry) and he did a whole series of paperback fiction stories on the Knights Templar and I'd discovered that I'd missed one book in the series so I was looking for that primarily.

I have a deep interest in history so I was looking for a book on WWII Battle of Kursk by Lloyd Clark but couldn't find it so I ended up getting another book by TS Learner called Sphinx with the Templar book.

I'm reading Valerio Massimo Manfredi's Odysseus - The Oath at the moment and I was looking for the 2nd book The Return but couldn't find that either! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
There's an author whose books I quite enjoyed called Paul Christopher, (actually he's US author Charles McCarry) and he did a whole series of paperback fiction stories on the Knights Templar and I'd discovered that I'd missed one book in the series so I was looking for that primarily.

I have a deep interest in history so I was looking for a book on WWII Battle of Kursk by Lloyd Clark but couldn't find it so I ended up getting another book by TS Learner called Sphinx with the Templar book.

I'm reading Valerio Massimo Manfredi's Odysseus - The Oath at the moment and I was looking for the 2nd book The Return but couldn't find that either! stevmk2
Steve I've just checked WHSmiths website and they do appear to have the book in stock that you are looking for...

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/search?keyw...ormSearch=true
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Steve I've just checked WHSmiths website and they do appear to have the book in stock that you are looking for...
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/search?keyw...ormSearch=true
I looked online too Mags before I went but neither I nor the shop assistant could find it in the store and Waterstones only had a hardback copy. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 04:56 PM

I was going to say, they could order it for you.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I was going to say, they could order it for you.
Hello Jazzi!

I've had "a bit of a day" today and my wife is going to look into this for me at our local WH Smiths next week. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 05:10 PM

Sadly it's a bit of a catch 22 really we gave up the high streets when we found on line cheaper, then the high streets gave up on us I think because they cannot compete. I am not surprised you had problems Steve WHS went down hill really years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top