Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Project started for new greenhouse

YESTERDAY A LOG STORE

TODAY no log store geting site prepared for greenhouse

The tiles on the roof each had 2 screws holding it down when all that was needed was for them just to hook over the battons underneath. Wood wise built like it was strengthened to withstand a bomb. The whole thing was over engineered to the ninth degree.

So At the moment we have been down the dump to get rid of the roof tiles and all the wood in the trailer ready to go tomorrow.
not bad for day one

Long way to go yet getting rid of all that in the second picture but it depends on the weather or not how we progress
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Re: Project started for new greenhouse

Ooh I love a project to get to work on. Wish I had room for a greenhouse but there's just no room in my tiny garden.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 10:48 PM

This is 5x4ft which I recon I can get in without disturbing the water butt- vine and still leave some of the rockery
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Now more like a building site than ever. Still rocks put to one side- large tree trunk gone as have more tiles, Got more to get rid of tomorrow.

You can't really get any idea of the size of the pile of stones in the foreground but at the highest point must be at least 2 ft, I estimate the amount at least the size of one of those building bags you see from builders merchants

ThinK those left in the picture I will also put to one side and help use them later on as part of the foundations.

Next step is down the dump again am if possible ,then start bagging up all the pebbles etc and put to one side until I have dug down deep enough. then pebbles and tiles - level all it off with building sand/cement mix. Finally paving slaps across the lot. Well that is the plan I have decided on, fingers crossed.
so a lot more to do yet before the final measure up to see what size greenhouse will fit the space.

At least it is giving us an interest and a project to work on

We would have progressed a bit further but the plumber turned up to replace a valve on the hot water side of the hot water tank. The old one was the original and some evenings it was noisy. Seems that after 30 odd years it was worn out. This was not part of the major work done before.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-02-2015, 03:40 PM

This is just the start of the sub foundations, still a bit more to add on the right hand side. Get that sorted then can start thinking about levelling the whole site off properly for the paving slabs to sit on.

Got to get this fairly substantial as having erected a greenhouse before, the slightest bit out and the greenhouse frame goes out and the glass wont fit
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 07:10 PM

Knowing you RS it will look great. Look forward to seeing the pics.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-02-2015, 07:47 PM

Alice there may be some delays due to weather - delivery of greenhouse (4/5 weeks) etc, but I shall post pictures as work progresses.
Oh greenhouse ordered and paid for, tomorrow off to wickes to chech out paving slab and get more ready mixed sand and cement to finish off right hand side.

Some of the "spoils" bagged up ready to get rid of later on

cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 08:07 PM

Will be interesting watching things develop, Realspeed..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Weather here bad this evening heavy rain , that will slow things down, suspect it will be down to clearing up more than building up
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-02-2015, 06:19 PM

Ok may not look much difference from the previous photo BUT, now all the digging out is complete, plant shoots moved, and whole area now a very rough levelling off.

Next stage is when the paving slabs come and I can lay down proper building sand with 6 to 1 mix with cement and really level it all off properly.
So now i am at a standstill until the slabs arrive. Ordered 8 slabs 600mm x600mm x50mm. Only need 6 but will have to cut the other two in half to gain the extra width I need.

That will be no problem as I have a 9" stone cutter disc and cut this type of slab before.

I am now getting to the interesting part, the build, now the site clearance and groundwork is nearly complete.

Should look like this but in grey metal

As well hopefully fixed the gutter down pipe which also feeds the water butt. The joints were all taped up with insulating tape not proper plumbing tape and was blocked on the top as well with debris. So have to see if my fix has done the trick working with what was there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top