Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:41 AM

Free Prescriptions in England.

Having just got out of hospital, i went last week to arrange an appointment with my GP to check what meds i would need to take. 8 days till i can see him new experience for me.

As a T2 diabetic i am entitled to getting my meds free using a card, however i diid not realise these had to be renewed, so asked the practice manger for a form to send off. Job done i received the reply this morning, as im over 60 i get free prescriptions anyway.

Is this true, do i need to carry something to tell my age ? Puzzles me why the practice manager and receptionist would not know this.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Re: Free Prescriptions in England.

I would have thought your age was logged in on the computer with your records, as any hospital/ Doctors Surgery nationally would be able to bring it up on the screen surely?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Your practice must surely know your age, Nom? They should also have told you that you are entitled to free subscriptions if you are over 60.
You don't have to carry anything, because your GP should have it on your records and your pharmacy can see and should not charge you.

Unfortunately sometimes we need to do our own 'homework' and find out what we are entitled to, because we don't always get the information passed on otherwise.

Hope you are feeling more on the mend now?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 12:35 PM

When you get your prescriptions Nom, you just tick over 60 on the back of it - job done
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Ooer, I've never done that Patsy, yet get my prescriptions free? It makes sense though. Good advice.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 01:25 PM

That was one of the perks when I became 60 getting a free bus pass
and not having to pay for my prescription. The reason you don't have
to prove it has partly been mentioned but also if you get a free
prescription by telling porkies they have for a while now checked
on these free ones and come down like a ton of bricks if you do have
to pay.
Hope you get better soon Nom.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Thanks folks, the last few weeks have been a nightmare, there is much i could say about it, but communications between several branches of the NHS beggars belief. Im fighting battles on a daily basis, not aided by severe sleep problems.

Yesterday after a day of comedy i was fitted with a pump to my foot, and promptly told not to walk anywhere, which is never going to happen, hopefully tomorrow eventually i will get some medication to quell the discomfort, and perhaps a sleep aid.

My only problem will be proving to the chemist im actually 60+, as im often mistaken for a meer yoof
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 01:47 PM

You dont need to prove your age, like Patsy said just turn over your prescription and there is a little box that needs a tick.

I dont even do that now they just do it for me automatic
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Nom, your date of birth will be on your health records anyway.
Just tick the Over 60 box on the back of the prescription as Patsy has already said. If they are not happy with it, they can confirm it with your doctor who signed the prescription.

If you feel happier when handing in your prescription, you can show your birth certificate or driving licence or passport if you have one.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 02:55 PM

If you look at your prescription you will see that your date of birth is on it, you just need to tick the over 60 box on the back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top