Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Donkeys At Weston Super Mare.

My daughter & I spent the day here last Saturday.
Watched the donkeys on the beach, none are tied up, they roam freely until the rides start. They seem happy to stay by the horse box where their food is, though a few take a little detour to look around, then go back again.

There is one who doesn't stay though. Midnight has a mind of her own, she is one determined donkey.

Very disapointed to find the kiosk closed.

Her handler then came & fetched her & herded her & a friend who had gone to find her, back to the other donkeys.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Re: Donkeys At Weston Super Mare.

I love the Weston donkeys, they are so gentle, it's unusual Midnight wandered off on her own as they usually go in pairs.

When they arrive at the beach they are well groomed before they are saddled up for the day. We often took our grandchildren to Weston and the first donkey ride Katie had was on Peter .... every visit after she we had to look out for Peter as he was the only donkey she wanted
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 03:29 PM

They do look well cared for I have photographs somewhere of my grandchildren on the Weston Donkeys taken last year .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 03:33 PM

So love Donkeys - thank you for the pictures Tiffany
Some donkeys have a terrible hard life, so good to see them in happier surroundings
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks for your replies, Girls. They do look well cared for & are not ill treated. The handler said Midnight does that regularly as she gets a free icecream, her pal, the one in the last photo who's name I don't know, didn't notice she'd gone until the handler was taking her back. The other donkey met them half way along the beach.
I love it that they aren't tied up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Lovely pics Tiffany. I adore donkeys, have done since I was a child. I almost had a rescue one many years ago, Folly, her name was.
Where we went on holiday as kids (every single year!), I always spent the whole fortnight helping 'the donkey man' catch them and tack them up ready for their days work, then I would get a free ride to the beach every morning. Same in the evening when taking them back to their field.

Sad nowadays, that you wouldn't dare let your young daughter go off like that. He was a kind man and remembered me every year when we went back there.
I still love them, and would give a home to one tomorrow if I still had the facilities I used to.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

21-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks, Mups, we have a donkey sanctuary here where I live. The donkeys are all males & gelded. It's part of the Dr Elisabeth Svendsen sanctuary in Sidmouth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 04:20 PM

We went to a donkey sanctuary many years ago, but I thought it was in Dorset?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Nice well cared for animals and a credit to their keepers!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Yes, I agree. so many poor donkeys are expected to work with their hooves like Aladdin's slippers. I hate to see that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top