Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 02:42 PM

How to sleep well

Do you sleep well? If not, you might be doing something wrong.

Apparently Asda have just completed a survey about having the perfect night's sleep.

It seems we should go to bed at 10.37 pm with a hot water bottle in a room which is 19 degrees, and wake at 7.19 am each morning.

I wonder how much they got paid to work out all that old tosh.

How do you get off to sleep, do you need a particular routine?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 02:47 PM

Re: How to sleep well

You have to have, Peace of mind to get a decent night's sleep.
I sleep really well. If I can't sleep I go through the phonetic alphabet, I am asleep by the time I get to Mike!
If that fails, I put Vick or Mentholatum rub on the soles of my feet and put on a pair of socks.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 02:55 PM

I usually sleep like a log..I go to bed anytime between 10 and 1.30am and am normally awake at 6 or 7am but I dont get up I drop back to sleep till around 8.30-9.00am.
I know if somethings playing on my mind cos I cant sleep and lie there awake with it going round and round in my head..
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 02:58 PM

Years ago when I started at university, I remember the Students Union handbook including the comment that ' passing out is not the same as falling asleep'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You have to have, Peace of mind to get a decent night's sleep.
I think that is the secret Artangel a quiet mind not one beset with worries...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:38 PM

Sleep deprivation is a serious problem, something i know too well. For a brief period while in hospital i got some much needed sleep. Now back home having
poor sleep pattens again.

Tried many things but as stated a clear mind certainly helps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:47 PM

I guess I'm lucky then, as the only time I have a problem is if I'm fretting about something and can't clear my head.
If I take a cup of hot milk and a nice story book to bed, I fall asleep very quickly, cuddling my hot water bottle. I only read a nice story in bed, nothing stimulating, frightening or anything I need to concentrate and learn about, else it would probably keep me awake.
I have more trouble waking up than sleeping.

NOM: Do you know what is preventing you sleeping well? Do you think it's thoughts racing about, or pain, or something easily put right like a new pillow needed or feeling warmer perhaps?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Ok I forget how I discovered this but what you do is this....

Go to bed turn out the lights and get comfy... then......

Take a really deep breath and exhale noisily, they take another breath and hold for 5 seconds... exhale, then another breath and hold for 8 seconds.. exhale.

The theory is you will be asleep within 7 seconds....works for me......sometimes
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Don't sleep well - wish I did
A good mattress would help !!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you sleep well? If not, you might be doing something wrong.

Apparently Asda have just completed a survey about having the perfect night's sleep.

It seems we should go to bed at 10.37 pm with a hot water bottle in a room which is 19 degrees, and wake at 7.19 am each morning.

I wonder how much they got paid to work out all that old tosh.

How do you get off to sleep, do you need a particular routine?
Is that Asda the supermarket? It's just that there was ASDA (American Sleep Disorder Association - possibly became ASA).

The survey results could just be an average I suppose. Ideal sleep might vary for everyone.

I go to bed at midnight and have no trouble getting to sleep. Staying asleep is another matter. I'm nearly always awake very early. Rather than just lie there, I get up and make a coffee. Perhaps go back to bed after a while and then I can sometimes sleep some more. A couple of dozes in the day make up for any sleep lost in the early hours. That's far from the ideal sleep pattern according to that survey but I feel OK on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top