Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Dewali

This coming Wednesday after my Yoga class, I have been invited to a special lunch with the class and tutor. It's the beginning of their Diwali festival.

Don't ask me to explain much, because I don't know much myself, except one of the ladies told me it's like their equivalent of our Christmas.

I get on well with the people in my Yoga group, they have always accepted me and looked after me, so it should be nice. I am usually the only English person there!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 10:36 PM

Re: Dewali

Have fun Diwali or the festival of lights a sort of cross between harvest festival and Christmas. Its a lovely festival..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 10:40 PM

Aren't I getting a little rascal in my old age.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 11:11 PM

It will be lovely Mups enjoy yourself
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 11:20 PM

My Son in Law is Indian and I have been in India for Diwali. It is a happy occasion,and one of Indias biggest festivals. Enjoy it will be lovely.http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2015, 11:22 PM

The ballroom where I dance on a Wednesday afternoon is used for the Diwali celebration every year so for two weeks we have to dance around a circular decorated stand which has fruit, nuts, money, sweets, flowers, etc displayed on it

On the stage there are ornate throne-like chairs and banners depicting female goddesses (I think ?) and the ceiling is festooned with garlands

It had all been removed last Wednesday ... unfortunately the floor was really sticky so it was a nightmare to dance on !!! Thank goodness for talcum powder .... although the management disapprove of us using it !!!!

I've taken a photo but I've forgotten how to post it on here

Enjoy yourself Mups
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-11-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
My Son in Law is Indian and I have been in India for Diwali. It is a happy occasion,and one of Indias biggest festivals. Enjoy it will be lovely.http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

Oh Celyn, I've even spelled the title of the thread wrong, I know virtually nothing about it.
Thanks for the info, but when I click on the link it just keeps saying "this page is not available."
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 12:33 AM

It's a bit blurred ....

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-11-2015, 12:40 AM

They have their own temple in the next town, Myrtle, I went in their once. There are big figures of different Gods everywhere, and everything was in bright colours.
I seem to remember some of the Gods had places to leave money donations too.
Some of the ladies looked beautiful in their brightly coloured, sparkly sari's, and they all seem to wear loads of gold jewellery. I haven't got anything like that to wear.

Mind you, this is only a lunch, and we'll all be in our yoga clothes still, so it won't be too formal I hope.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh Celyn, I've even spelled the title of the thread wrong, I know virtually nothing about it.
Thanks for the info, but when I click on the link it just keeps saying "this page is not available."
It sounds lovely Mups, I hope you enjoy it...

Here's another link for you .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top