Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 01:55 PM

What temp to cook Pork Ribs long and slow?

First to admit I have never bought Pork Ribs before. I have been looking at countless recipes on-line but they all seem to be for racks of ribs and the ones I have bought are a packet of 10 separated Pork Ribs from Tesco. It say to put the rub on them, wrap loosely with foil and cook at preheated oven temp 300?? for 45/50 minutes, opening the foil after 30 minutes. When cooked, brush with barbeque sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes.

If possible I would prefer to cook them long and slow for say 3 to 4 hours instead but for the life of me I have no idea what temperature to put my electric oven on for (maximum 230?) most recipes say again 300.
I will need to put them on soon if we are to have them for dinner tonight. Can any clever cook out there please advise me how to cook them? thankyou xx
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Re: What temp to cook Pork Ribs long and slow?

does this help to set the correct temperature ?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 02:14 PM

long and slow for a couple of hours-say 140C. Then rub,dress and whap up the oven to around 220C
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Hi Honey, thank you so much for your reply. I did try converting it to electric but it works out to 150 and that is the lowest my electric oven will go. What puzzles me is how can Ribs, which contain a rather tough meat, ever cook at 150 in 45/50 minutes???? I think I will have to take a chance and cook it for 3/4 hours at 150 then and hope they don't disintegrate as I pick them up!!
xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-11-2015, 02:20 PM

Oh, thanks OG, will try that on 150 for two hours then 220 for a further one hour. xx
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 03:35 PM

Steam the ribs first for about 30 mins, then cover them liberally with barBcue sauce (tomato ketchup, honey, soy sauce and a touch of English mustard) then place then in a tray and cover lightly with foil, cook for 2 hours at 150c removing the foil for the last 15 mins...simples !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-11-2015, 09:39 PM

Malcolm, thank you very much for your kind response.
Unfortunately I had logged off before I saw your reply but really appreciate your help.

OG - Would just like to say a huge thankyou. I tried your recipe, I laid them into a long pyrex dish, covered them generously in a dry rub chinese sauce for 10 minutes, covered the dish in foil and cooked them on 150 for 2 hours. I then turned the oven up to 220 and cooked them for another 50 minutes, popped them back in uncovered for a further 10 minutes and they came out absolutely delicious!! glossy, well cooked,coated with a delicious sticky hot chinese sauce and the meat just fell off the bone when eaten.. can't thank you enough and will do them this way every time from now on.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top