Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Cucumbers

I've only grown these - in the greenhouse - for the past couple of years and last year was a disaster, bitter and ghastly because they obviously got fertilised.

This year I've bought female only seeds and hope that will be successful. After all the amount of space needed to grow them is such that if they don't work its an awful waste that could have been used for something else.

Has anyone else tried the female only way of growing cucumbers and if so, any luck?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Re: Cucumbers

No, . . but as I've sown three plants I shall watch this thread with interest, . . c'mon you guys give us a clue.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 10:00 AM

I certainly have and I know that if buying retail amounts then F1 cucumber seed is horribly expensive-even at 100 seeds prices they are not cheap.

If you grow them with love and care then you should get at least 10 fruit and often more from one plant so that makes a cucumber good value.

Do try to avoid the soil just around the stem getting too wet or they might keel over and die-plunge a pot or something into the soil and water into that.

And if you cannot manage a large cucumber every time then try the variety `Petita`-half sized and good
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks Old Git, that's helpful. I grow them in growbags in the greenhouse, with an arrangement of bench planks and string suspended from the top of the greenhouse for them to climb up. Is there a better/correct way do you know?

I'll check the variety I've bought - (seeds are in the potting shed, I'm in the house and its tipping down) but I think they produce half sized fruits.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Is there a better/correct way do you know?

There are no `correct` ways?

I grow mine up a cane until a certain height then pinch out the growing tip and then train four leaders horizontally. But I chap I used to know pinched out sooner and grew two leaders up supports at about 45 degrees and he grew an amazing crop.

What I do suggest though is to remove the first few fruit to set so as to allow your plants to grow on a bit before asking them to fruit
FayRose
Devon, UK

29-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks again Old Git. I hadn't thought about pinching out the first fruits, I'm always so delighted to see something happening its never occurred to me
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Is there a better/correct way do you know?

There are no `correct` ways?

I grow mine up a cane until a certain height then pinch out the growing tip and then train four leaders horizontally. But I chap I used to know pinched out sooner and grew two leaders up supports at about 45 degrees and he grew an amazing crop.

What I do suggest though is to remove the first few fruit to set so as to allow your plants to grow on a bit before asking them to fruit
Great post OG, . . .thank you.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2010, 08:34 AM

This is my first year with cucumbers - wish me luck. I am trying a few varieties including crystal lemon.

Old git - hang around in case I need guidance
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

08-04-2010, 12:28 PM

I am trying a few varieties including crystal lemon.

Old git - hang around in case I need guidance .

It`s not one I grow regularly but I have grown them and they are nice-just don`t let them get too ripe or they get a bit `pippy` with seeds.

Another outdoor variety that is good is `Marketmore`-again the same warning applies
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2010, 11:39 PM

OG, may I just say you are a real asset to us here with your gardening expertise?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top