Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 10:52 AM

Ugly Fruit and Veg

As I buy my produce from a farm shop, all my veggies and fruit are misshapen and rather cute. Non of this washed, crimped and tweaked perfection in sight so..

Do you buy uglies and if not..why not ?

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 10:57 AM

Re: Ugly Fruit and Veg

Depends if it needs peeling then I chose a shape easy to peel because uglies can be very difficult to get the peel off of.

I shop in tesco and someone else chooses my veg usually so I get what ever they think is best.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:13 AM

we grow our own, so we get every shape and size of fruit and veg going!

I've signed up to www.wastenotuk.com too (I'm a huuuge fan of Hugh F-W!)
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
we grow our own, so we get every shape and size of fruit and veg going!

I've signed up to www.wastenotuk.com too (I'm a huuuge fan of Hugh F-W!)

Not a fan but it is a campaign that I am certainly in favour of although I do think it will fizzle out due to the supermarkets wash and go policy. Whilst throwing hands up in horror at such wastage it seems the public are all becoming or have become pristine shoppers
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Our local supermarket started selling mixed boxes of Ugly's but they charged a premium for it...Then withdrew it because it didnt sell..Well not surprising really.

I buy what I like and if its ugly so what? In summer we go to local farms and they often have bags of fruit or veg for sale the taste is far better even if there is the odd strange shape.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 12:31 PM

I grow much of my own veg so it's a must to wash off the white flies, soil and caterpillars before cooking.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 12:40 PM

I don't care what shape my vegetables are , flavour and freshness which contributes to flavour is everything
I buy vegetables of all shapes from a variety of sources including the WI and Farmers market.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 01:42 PM

I buy a lot of my veg from my neighbours honesty boxes that they have outside their houses,eggs spuds leeks beetroots and other seasonal veg too ..its all shapes and sizes as it comes...they taste delicious too!
solo
UK

27-11-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I buy a lot of my veg from my neighbours honesty boxes that they have outside their houses,eggs spuds leeks beetroots and other seasonal veg too ..its all shapes and sizes as it comes...they taste delicious too!

They also taste much nicer than those ones that have been through a suana and a shampooer.

Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 06:28 PM

I take them as they come any shape or size will do me. Im talking about veg/fruit by the way.😀

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top