Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Pet ages

Could google it i suppose but feel i will get the answer from my friends on here so here goes.
My dog Henry is 2 years old but in human years he is 14? If he was a cat he would be 24?
So what bright spark came up with this which sounds like a load of codswallop to me. I mean how could anyone know this?
I eagerly await your answers🐶🐹
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Re: Pet ages

Probably some idiot looking for more funding? Even at 12 my cat could jump higher for his size than I ever could
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 05:54 PM

Well however old does that make my Poppy as shes 15yrs old now ...must be a very OAP now...but she jumps around like a puppy still lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 06:05 PM

I had this all written down somewhere Doc, but can't find it now I want it.
I copied it from my vet's notice board.

It is not quite how we always thought about the 1 : 7 ratio at all. The scale changes as the dog ages and according to breed as well, as some breeds age much quicker than others.

I'm not much help really, sorry, but unless I can find my list, I can't tell you any more.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 06:24 PM

If the average age of a cat is 15 years and the average age of a human is 90 years then 1 cat year = 6 human years, simples !
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 08:44 PM

I think dogs offer a great trait. A trait humans no matter how old or how young they are in comparison to dogs. I am speaking of unconditional love
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 08:50 PM

Dog owners know that one Painter!
I'm lucky, cos I get it times three!

The age ratio does depend on age and breed.
There are lots of sites with calculators, and they vary. A lot.
But here's one where you can put in the age and the breed.
Whether the result is true or not, I don't know.

http://www.pedigree.com/all-things-d...r/default.aspx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It is not quite how we always thought about the 1 : 7 ratio at all. The scale changes as the dog ages and according to breed as well, as some breeds age much quicker than others.
Actualy that is helpful because although the 7:1 ratio is often used it is (like many things in life) an over simplification.

The scale does indeed change and a puppy ages much faster than a dog in 'middle' age. At one year a dog is on a level with a human teenager at two it can hunt and reproduce and is (according to tests) able to learn faster than any other time in it's life.

This 'non linear' aspect is what confuses a lot of people but the research is pretty reliable.

However, I am not much in favour of anything that compares dogs to humans, they are so different in their thinking, their loyalty, and IMO their intelligence
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:04 PM

My cat will be 19 years old in a couple of months ... that works out at 92 human years!

For those who wish to check their cat or dog's 'human' age, check it out here ....

http://www.webvet.com/main/2012/02/2...og-or-cats-age
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Dog owners know that one Painter!
I'm lucky, cos I get it times three!

The age ratio does depend on age and breed.
There are lots of sites with calculators, and they vary. A lot.
But here's one where you can put in the age and the breed.
Whether the result is true or not, I don't know.

http://www.pedigree.com/all-things-d...r/default.aspx

According to that, my old gal is exactly 100, so I think that entitles her to be deaf, slow and asleep most of the time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top