Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 07:24 PM

Soaps Containing Antibiotics

Apparently, the US authorities are investigating hand washing soaps for homes and public places, as they may contributing to the growing resistance of bugs when doctors treat various diseases. Does anyone know any more?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Re: Soaps Containing Antibiotics

Apparently, the US authorities are investigating hand washing soaps for homes and public places, as they may contributing to the growing resistance of bugs when doctors treat various diseases. Does anyone know any more?
Hi Dobra I read somewhere that some of the antibacterial hand washes that are routinely used in homes and the 'antibactrial sprays' now used in many kitchens on things like work surfaces are contributing to resistant bugs.

All that is required in these situations is hot water and soap or normal cleaning products., using an antibacterial agent in these circumstances is overkill and not required...

I am not talking about the disinfectant jells that are now routinely use in dispensers in hospitals.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Never use them as I am allergic very few times in our lives we need more than hot water and decent soap and a proper hand washing routine. Amazing how many people don't really wash their hands effectively.
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 05:10 PM

I know this is an old thread, but there have been people concerned about this for at least a decade here in the US. Its just that the industry is starting to react to it. I actually think they're taking action on soaps to avoid the bigger issue of the number of antibiotics that are used raising animals.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 05:50 PM

Topical antibiotics such as shop bought soaps and creams etc. can be anything that kill bacteria and are more likely to be called anti bacterials in the UK.
Antibiotics for internal use or for injury sites where flesh is exposed can only be prescribed by a qualified doctor.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top