Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 07:06 PM

Smoking & weight gain.

When I stopped smoking about six years ago I knew that my metabolism would slow down so I deliberately ate slightly less than I used to do... In spite of this I gained 12lbs. I've never managed to shake it off in spite of eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise (swimming & walking)

Do we have any ex smokers on here who didn't gain weight - or who did gain weight and managed to lose it?
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 07:08 PM

Re: Smoking & weight gain.

Carol if you are 12lbs overweight I hate to think how many pounds I should lose !!!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 07:11 PM

When I stopped smoking I also put on about 12lbs which stayed there. I console myself with the fact that the exchange of stopping smoking for 12lbs in weight was a good exchange so why worry.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
When I stopped smoking about six years ago I knew that my metabolism would slow down so I deliberately ate slightly less than I used to do... In spite of this I gained 12lbs. I've never managed to shake it off in spite of eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise (swimming & walking)
I stopped smoking 13 years ago and, like you, piled on the pounds despite a controlled diet and exercise .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 09:23 PM

I stopped smoking about 30 years ago and didn't gain weight. Perhaps it's something to do with what age a person stops smoking. If giving it up at a later age, perhaps that's when a person might naturally gain weight anyway.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:02 PM

That's a good point Mart, I know lots of people who have giving up the smokes in their 50's and 60's and while they say they feel healthier they sure have piled on the pounds, not that I'd mention it to them but surely they must know themselves.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:46 PM

You get fat, or fatter, by eating more than your body needs so in this case I should think instead of smoking a food replacement was used instead. Sweets maybe? Also smoking causes an increase in metabolism apparently so between the 2 weight gain looks like the usual outcome.

Stop smoking - don't eat between meals and do light exercise - sorted.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:52 PM

Just ask yourself .... Do you feel better and good about yourself for quitting smoking?

If it's yes, forget about a bit of extra weight. It doesn't matter.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
You get fat, or fatter, by eating more than your body needs so in this case I should think instead of smoking a food replacement was used instead. Sweets maybe? Also smoking causes an increase in metabolism apparently so between the 2 weight gain looks like the usual outcome.

Stop smoking - don't eat between meals and do light exercise - sorted.
I don't eat between meals and haven't since I was 42 when my waist measurement went up to 32" .....

I walk up to 25 miles a week, over rough terrain and at a pace which brings me out in a sweat, whatever the weather .....

Of course, I could "fast" for a month, but such extremes are not in my nature .....
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 01:17 AM

Off topic but just want to say to Omagh that I've just had a 3 night break in Southport and went on the bus to Preston ... my first visit and enjoyed it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top