Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Police ‘Locked Up Dog Without Exercise For Two Years’

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-loc...323.html?nhp=1

A dog was kept locked up in a small cage for two years without exercise by police, it has been reported.

Stella, a pit bull-type dog, was kept in a 1m by 3m cage by Devon and Cornwall Police, the BBC reported.

She was seized after her owner was arrested on an unrelated matter in 2014 and was considered potentially dangerous by police.

A worker at the private kennel used by the force said police instructed staff not to exercise dogs held under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Laura Khanlarian told the BBC that Stella left her kennel just twice during her stay so her behaviour could be assessed.

“We were always told not to exercise or go into a kennel with any dogs, regardless of character, that had been brought in under the Dangerous Dogs Act,” she said.

“We were under no circumstances allowed to touch any of those dogs at all under any circumstances - which was hard.

“Animal welfare comes before anything, and that was my job. I don’t believe I would be doing it properly if I would sit back and think that’s ok. It wasn’t ok - it’s not ok.”

The dog’s owner, Antony Hastie, attended court 11 times about her future. Earlier this month, it was ruled the dog should be destroyed.

Sgt Allan Knight, from the Devon and Cornwall Police dog handling unit, told the BBC: “There will always be some dogs, for whatever reason, that cannot go back, and cannot get walked by staff because of the danger they possess.”
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Re: Police ‘Locked Up Dog Without Exercise For Two Years’

I fully understand they likely can't walk a dangerous dog but surely they can find some space for it to run free away from the public ? Anything less is cruel.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I fully understand they likely can't walk a dangerous dog but surely they can find some space for it to run free away from the public ? Anything less is cruel.
I agree, but I would also think that people who are trained to deal with dangerous dog breeds could at least get a muzzle on the animal to take it somewhere safe for exercise. Reading the article it doesn't appear that the dog was there because of something it had done, but something it's owner had done.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:49 PM

I saw this earlier, it's horrible!
They should have a time limit for keeping the dogs of a few months until courts cases etc. have been done with and even then they need much bigger cages.
If it was an owner they'd be charged with cruelty.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:50 PM

It's all to do with elf and safety which overrules common sense.

Unfortunately the Bull breed has come in for some serious media pounding thanks the scumbag dealers and Chavs making them an aggressive "must have" accessory.

20+ years ago it was the Rottweiler, Alsation and Dobermann.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:18 PM

That is downright cruelty and there should be a time limit on keeping a dog in those conditions . It would have been much more humane to put it to sleep after a couple of months at the most .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 04:45 PM

I saw this on our news lunchtime & although I don't like pit bulls, she seemed friendly & stable at first, but after so long cooped up she turned nasty, any dog would, with minimal human contact & isolation from all things creatures need to sustain them, that was the fault of the way she was kept & that was very cruel.
She was a banned dog & if then, by law, they have to be destroyed, it should have happened straight away not years after.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I agree, but I would also think that people who are trained to deal with dangerous dog breeds could at least get a muzzle on the animal to take it somewhere safe for exercise. Reading the article it doesn't appear that the dog was there because of something it had done, but something it's owner had done.

Failing that clumsy, if no one had the knowledge and common sense to handle it, under those circumstances her fate should have been dealt with within 7 days or something - not 2 bloody years1!!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I saw this on our news lunchtime & although I don't like pit bulls, she seemed friendly & stable at first, but after so long cooped up she turned nasty, any dog would, with minimal human contact & isolation from all things creatures need to sustain them, that was the fault of the way she was kept & that was very cruel.
She was a banned dog & if then, by law, they have to be destroyed, it should have happened straight away not years after.
Banned breeds do not have to be destroyed, you can still own a banned breed of dog.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 01:23 AM

I didn't know that Tpin, I thought if a dog breed was banned no one could own one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top