Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Delayed Reactions

Most speed orientated threads seem to focus on the excessive use of speed, but, what about the amount of time wasted, sitting behind folks who suffer delayed reaction syndrome. When a Red Light turns Green, and say, you are the 6th vehicle in the stationary queue, just count how many seconds it takes, from the colour change to physically moving a wheel, the worst one is, when the 5 vehicles in front take so long to pull of, by the time you move, the lights have gone Red again.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Re: Delayed Reactions

There's a set of traffic lights that I have to negotiate when I go into town that only allows about 4 vehicles through before they change back to red. At busy times of the day there can be a 100 yards long queue there.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Have you ever noticed that whilst the queue is stationary and compacted, a six vehicle queue is probably 75 feet long, at pull off, and with each drivers delayed reaction, the same six vehicles form a line about 250 yards long.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Most speed orientated threads seem to focus on the excessive use of speed, but, what about the amount of time wasted, sitting behind folks who suffer delayed reaction syndrome. When a Red Light turns Green, and say, you are the 6th vehicle in the stationary queue, just count how many seconds it takes, from the colour change to physically moving a wheel, the worst one is, when the 5 vehicles in front take so long to pull of, by the time you move, the lights have gone Red again.
Does it matter if you have to wait a few moments more at traffic lights or anywhere else , what are a few moments from a lifetime. If you have to wait that extra minute why not take the opportunity to do a few deep breathing exercises, they will help you to stay calm .

I believe many so-called 'accidents' are caused by impatience and those people who have to to rush everywhere when driving.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:37 AM

I seem to have this problem when coming out from my big Sainsburys. I need to turn right into the main road at the lights and I count down seconds when waiting for the first car to move. And invariably nobody seems in much of a hurry to get round. I usually find myself shouting out (in the confines of my car, with closed windows!). Come on, mooooooove!!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I seem to have this problem when coming out from my big Sainsburys. I need to turn right into the main road at the lights and I count down seconds when waiting for the first car to move. And invariably nobody seems in much of a hurry to get round. I usually find myself shouting out (in the confines of my car, with closed windows!). Come on, mooooooove!!!!

There's a word you should observe Jazzi darlin' - that word is: PATIENCE!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Does it matter if you have to wait a few moments more at traffic lights or anywhere else , what are a few moments from a lifetime. If you have to wait that extra minute why not take the opportunity to do a few deep breathing exercises, they will help you to stay calm .

I believe many so-called 'accidents' are caused by impatience and those people who have to to rush everywhere when driving.
It is a lack of urgency that has brought this once great country of ours to it's knees.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is a lack of urgency that has brought this once great country of ours to it's knees.
I would say it was mainly down to too much testosterone Paul
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Quite agree Spitty
....He who hesitates is lost
delay or vacillation may have unfortunate or disastrous consequences
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 09:48 AM

The thing is Meg that if you're in a stream of traffic it's sensible to be moving at the same speed as the majority of the others around you. On a 70 mph road that speed is usually 70 mph so if you come across someone doing 50 mph you have to overtake them which means pulling out into another lane.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top