Join for free
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Herons

They are graceful birds it is true. But if I ever see the one that found that small part of my pond that was not netted again............................just 3 tiny tiddlers left. And it is not just me,my local small town website is reporting ponds cleared unless completely covered.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 08:45 PM

Re: Herons

I've been there Older Git. The heron in my last garden cleared out half my fish (about 50) before I realised what was happening. They were only goldfish but had been there since 1993 and had grown quite large. The worst part is that it put a hole in the liner which had been good for over 20 years. Even after netting the pond it was still getting them and as quick as a flash too.

As you say, A beautiful bird but a real pain once they discover your pond.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The worst part is that it put a hole in the liner which had been good for over 20 years. Even after netting the pond it was still getting them and as quick as a flash too.
I had exactly the same problem some years ago. Fortunately, the hole was quite near to the surface and so the pond didn't drain much. I managed to patch it and it has been fine since.

I've tried several things to deter herons in the past, as I used to have a regular visitor. A strong net was the best answer although the heron kept visiting, hopefully expecting to find some way of getting at the goldfish. I did look forward to seeing it, though, as they are quite an attractive bird.

I think the penny finally dropped, as I haven't seen it for a couple of years now.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 10:17 PM

You could try buying a plastic/resin heron and sit it next to your pond, a heron won't come into another heron's patch
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 10:18 PM

Piranhas, could be the way to go!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You could try buying a plastic/resin heron and sit it next to your pond, a heron won't come into another heron's patch
You could! However, having trawled through a number of web sites where this has been suggested, it seems that they only work for a few days before the real herons become wise to the trick.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Sadly that is a myth-live herons are not clever but neither are they daft.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:11 AM

They are just very determined.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:33 AM

And hungry.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Yes of course

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top