Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Early earlies new potatoes

Yet again our new potatoes are not what they should be. They are fine size-wise and on the face of it look great.

BUT when I wash and cook them (gentle boil), they fall to pieces like old roasting spuds, yet they are supposed to be 'waxy ideal salad potatoes'.
I know its high starch content that causes this but the variety we've used (Accord) is supposed to be low starch. We grew a different variety last year, I can't remember its name but it was also supposed to be a waxy low starch spud.

Any clues or advice on growing/cooking please folks. Right fed up with this happening ...yet again.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Re: Early earlies new potatoes

Sorry, can't help; this is my first year growing potatoes and haven't dug yet ... was told to dig after they'd flowered and they haven't, yet. Hope someone will be along soon with advice.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Maybe try steaming them and for less time?

Eileen - this is my first year of growing spuds - mine have flowered but I thought I had to harvest after the haulms had died down.

OG?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Yes, OG, your advice needed!
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
Maybe try steaming them and for less time?

Thanks PPH but that sounds like a load of faffing and I don't have a steamer.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

11-07-2010, 08:52 PM

If you don't have a steamer you can improvise one, if you don't need to do a large quantity. If you have a cake rack and a large enough pot to put it in, upend a cup in the pot, put the cake rack and what you're steaming on it, add water and cover.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 05:40 PM

I`m no expert on spuds. I tend to stick with Marris Piper as my bog standard roast/chip one. And sometimes Pink Fir apple for salads(it`s a main crop though so don`t harvest early)

Depending on the variety some are picked just as the haulm starts to wither-others when it`s fully died back-so I think anyway.

As to flowering-i just let them get on with it but some around the gardening sites say remove them-why let them flower and produce those poisonous seed heads when you want spuds being the rationale.

As to the original question-if they are going to mush don`t even try to boil them-just saute in a little butter, rosemary and garlic
FayRose
Devon, UK

14-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
As to the original question-if they are going to mush don`t even try to boil them-just saute in a little butter, rosemary and garlic
Sounds like serious cooking to me ! I'm just yer boring old bog-standard shove-it-in-the-pan sort. Beginning to think I shouldn't have tried to grow spuds.

Hey-ho, roll on the runner beans
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Sounds like serious cooking to me !

It`s easy!!-cooking is not difficult.

I taught myself years ago-the way to a man`s heart might be through his stomach,but at University I found the way into knickers was via a decent paella. I joke of course
FayRose
Devon, UK

16-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
..... the way to a man`s heart might be through his stomach,but at University I found the way into knickers was via a decent paella. I joke of course
ooooh, how rude is that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top