Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Dangerous Dogs Act

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37037799
(some grapic images)

This is a cut and paste from the BBC website (above) this morning.

I agree with the RSPCA and am wholly and completely opposed to breed specific legislation, I think it futile.

I would suggest that these statistics prove that euthanizing certain dogs based upon their breed or looks doesn't work.

I was quite shocked at 30 people having died in dog-related incidents (not sure what dog-related means - maybe these include those that tripped over one!)

The facts:
In the UK, since 1991, 30 people have died in dog-related incidents, with 21 involving dogs of breeds/types not prohibited by the law.

Battersea had to put down 91 pit bull type dogs last year that were healthy, because of the law.

The charity believed at least 71% of them could have been rehomed as family pets due to their friendly and affectionate nature.

NHS hospital admission statistics show there were 7,227 hospital admissions for dog bites last year which is a 6% increase year-on-year and a 76% increase over the last 10 years.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Re: Dangerous Dogs Act

I agree with you on this Baxter. I think that dangerous dogs are usually caused by the people who own them, rather than their breed.
Too many people, often young men, like to own tough looking dogs to show how brave they are, being their masters. What it really shows is that they are idiots, who thrive on violence, and I believe that any owner who keeps violent dogs should be forced to keep them under control and be prosecuted if that dog escapes their control and attacks.
Some people have wonderful pets, who could be listed as "dangerous dogs",mainly because a dog responds to how it is treated and trained"!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 07:56 AM

It's a shame that animals are bred and brought up to be dangerous by humans .
The law seems to have failed with the pit bull as it should have been bred out by now .
It's not a breed it's a type and that type can be easily reproduced by breeding almost anything with a Staffordshire bull Terrior .
I think that the dog licence shoul be reintroduced and large dogs with questionable traits monitored .
Any dog can be dangerous in the wrong circumstances but a large dog will cause a lot of damage .
Small dogs can do too of course but unless you are a helpless child you can make an effort to defend yourself.
Pit bulls are very loyal dogs and treated well are as safe as any other dog but they have a formidable jaw and tenacity and thugs who fight them make them into killers.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:18 AM

Agree with all that you say - maybe the questionable owners of such dogs should be monitored.

I was reading somewhere this morning that despite pitbulls (wrongly in my view) having been banned since 1991 there are approximately 3,000 in the country.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's a shame that animals are bred and brought up to be dangerous by humans .
The law seems to have failed with the pit bull as it should have been bred out by now .
It's not a breed it's a type and that type can be easily reproduced by breeding almost anything with a Staffordshire bull Terrior .
I think that the dog licence shoul be reintroduced and large dogs with questionable traits monitored .
Any dog can be dangerous in the wrong circumstances but a large dog will cause a lot of damage .
Small dogs can do too of course but unless you are a helpless child you can make an effort to defend yourself.
Pit bulls are very loyal dogs and treated well are as safe as any other dog but they have a formidable jaw and tenacity and thugs who fight them make them into killers.
Baxter8
Somerset

13-08-2016, 09:21 AM

Sad and true.

I think all dogs at all times should be kept under control.

I have a real softy who loves children but I still won't allow children close to him because he's just too exuberant - not through aggression but over-excitement

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree with you on this Baxter. I think that dangerous dogs are usually caused by the people who own them, rather than their breed.
Too many people, often young men, like to own tough looking dogs to show how brave they are, being their masters. What it really shows is that they are idiots, who thrive on violence, and I believe that any owner who keeps violent dogs should be forced to keep them under control and be prosecuted if that dog escapes their control and attacks.
Some people have wonderful pets, who could be listed as "dangerous dogs",mainly because a dog responds to how it is treated and trained"!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Sad and true.

I think all dogs at all times should be kept under control.

I have a real softy who loves children but I still won't allow children close to him because he's just too exuberant - not through aggression but over-excitement
I also think that it would be a good idea to teach children to never touch a dog without the owners permission. I like dogs but would never stroke one before asking of if they are friendly and if the owner wouldn't mind.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:42 AM

I agree Twink I always ask when I am with my grandchildren as their own dog is so child friendly they need to realise that all dogs are not the same.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Agree with all that you say - maybe the questionable owners of such dogs should be monitored.

I was reading somewhere this morning that despite pitbulls (wrongly in my view) having been banned since 1991 there are approximately 3,000 in the country.
I think most will be legal or I'd hope so.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I also think that it would be a good idea to teach children to never touch a dog without the owners permission. I like dogs but would never stroke one before asking of if they are friendly and if the owner wouldn't mind.
I think that message may be getting through . I have 4 dogs and lots of children ask if they can stroke them. The children lately have been very nice and gentle towards the dogs too .
Their parents have obviously taught them well .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2016, 11:07 AM

The following is an excerpt from a document on keeping and owning dogs here in Spain:

"Regulated & Dangerous dogs

There are restrictions on owning certain breeds of dog in Spain. Laws are regulated by the Autonomous Communities (Comunidades Autónomas), which impose a wide variety of rules and regulations within the country. Any person owning a potentially dangerous dog (perros potencialmente peligrosos) must have an appropriate licence and insurance, and the dog must be registered annually with the municipality. Handlers and walkers of dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs must also be licensed. A licence is valid for five years.

The breeds identified as potentially dangerous are the Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Tosa Inu, and Akita Inu. Dogs with certain characteristics of these breeds are also classified as potentially dangerous and those that have a track record of aggression to humans and other animals must also be licensed and registered. The rules are different - and stricter - in Andalucia."

As you can imagine, having the laws is one thing, enforcing the law quite another. As some people may remember, there is a pit bull at the house behind us. Their garden adjoins ours, at their side it is separated by a low wall and a very badly neglected hedge. At our side a strong metal type fence. Now they have 2 pitbulls and after anyone who ventured to the back of our house being terrorised by these dogs charging the fence, I eventually had some very strong words with the "original" owner of the dogs, who is very rarely here. To cut a long story short I told him that if I saw the dogs anywhere near the fence again I was going immediately to the police. I must have worried him, next day the dogs were literally fenced in at the front of their house and they havenīt been near the fence at the back since.

Five doors down from that house is a man who has, or had, I should say, 5 pitbulls and some other spurious breed of dog. This man had so many complaints about his dogs, which are very dangerous, the authorities removed them and he could not have them back until he had made proper provision for keeping them. He erected a very large cage thing with metal poles, the dogs, apart from one were returned to him. As soon as the authorities had checked the "cage" and returned the dogs, he removed the cage. It has transpired that this man is squatting in the house, the owner of the house has evidently died and no relatives can be traced. Itīs somewhat of a long on-going story and is slowly going through the courts, but in the meantime the people who live in front of him and to the sides are having to cope with the smell from a garden full of dog crap and a green slimy swimming pool, ideal for breeding mosquitoes.

The law, being what it is, the police canīt just go in, the man (and his English partner) are never seen, they certainly never come out during daylight and evidently the police cannot simply shoot the dogs so that they can enter the property.

Yesterday the people who live directly in front of this house came up to see us. They were really distressed. They heard an awful screaming noise from the house, so they went on their roof to see what was going on. One of the dogs had got a cat, they shouted and shouted for the owner, nothing of course, there was nothing they could do and the dog not only killed the cat, it then ate it. (no doubt Pumicestone would like to have seen that). Their 6 year old, loves animals, granddaughter arrives on Monday, imagine a small child having to witness that !

The people who lived in close proximity to this house are now going to have a meeting and are hoping to go to the authorities and demand that something is done about this situation. They can but try, but somehow or other I think they will have to wait for the law to deal with it and that is definitely not speedy, unless of course the dogs get out of the property and kill or injure someone.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top