Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Flat Faced dogs should not be purchased

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37423040

It appears vets think there is an animal welfare issue where they are concerned. I think they look pretty ugly anyway.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Re: Flat Faced dogs should not be purchased

I actually find them very attractive but I won't have one because of the problems they live with. breeders really need to try to make things better within the breeds.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 12:18 PM

It's not their fault they have breathing difficulties though is it.
It's one thing to make people aware they might be having a dog which will require veterinary intervention and cost .. but to try and put people off totally is a little unfair on the poor pooches. Everyone needs someone to love them.

I get chronic blocked sinuses. I'm so glad Mr M never really noticed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Maybe it would be kinder to put the animals down than have them suffer due to human stupidity for breeding them in the first place.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 01:10 PM

I don't know about them not running around, my little Shitzu runs like a little greyhound, she's 9 years old, doesn't suffer breathing problems (so far at least), very occasionally gets conjunctivitis in one eye, cleared up quickly with drops from the vet, and she is a happy, healthy, friendly little dog.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I don't know about them not running around, my little Shitzu runs like a little greyhound, she's 9 years old, doesn't suffer breathing problems (so far at least), very occasionally gets conjunctivitis in one eye, cleared up quickly with drops from the vet, and she is a happy, healthy, friendly little dog.
That's good to hear and almost any dog can get conjunctivitis it's not just flatter noses. Many flat noses are fine sadly too many aren't though.

My favourite breed is chihuahuas we have had a lot of problems over the years with breeders going smaller and smaller. I think any breed can suffer from the excesses of breeders trying to make them more appealing.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2016, 01:15 PM

I dislike small dogs, I was brought up with German shepherds, and much prefer them, as long as they are well under control of course.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Can't say I actually dislike any size of dog, always seems a bit odd to me judging them on size. I do like smaller dogs best mainly because they are little power packs and zoom around enthusiastically but also sit on my lap for a cuddle. Our Labrador is great but as a lap dog she crushes me and zooming around isn't her most favourite activity.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 01:46 PM

I too was brought up with German Shepherds, my grandfather bred and trained them. The Pomeranians were the first small dogs we ever had. They were followed by Muffin, the Bichon/Maltese and ChoCho the current Shiztu. Muffin and the Poms suffered from occasional brachycephalic problems, they were not flat faced, but the condition also applies to short muzzled dogs.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37423040

It appears vets think there is an animal welfare issue where they are concerned. I think they look pretty ugly anyway.
Maybe it would be kinder to put the animals down than have them suffer due to human stupidity for breeding them in the first place.
I dislike small dogs, I was brought up with German shepherds, and much prefer them, as long as they are well under control of course.
It would appear you have no interest in the dog's health at all.
Just an excuse to vent more of your prejudice views and dislikes to gain reactions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top