Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Crufts

Hi

Any of you watching it?

I cannot stand the pampered miniatures, but love what I call real dogs.

The assist dogs are great, so was the Lady Reverend from Gogglebox with her rescue greyhound.

My sister had three of them.

The agility dogs were fantastic, Abby, the Flatcoat used to love agility.

She knew exactly what time it was for her to go and would whine by the front door with her lead in her mouth.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Re: Crufts

I much prefer Scruffs....I dislike pampered pets immensely......the owners are creepy and pretentious.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 03:42 PM

I like real dogs too who aren't pampered but treated like the species they are. I would have ALL of those ghastly small breeds of dog neutered by law so they would die out and make it illegal to breed the horrible things!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 04:06 PM

I have nothing to do with the show world. It has never appealed to me.
I used to do competitive Obedience work once, and my dogs loved it, they loved being active and doing things, and they loved 'working' and being rewarded.

To me the show world is very different. They spend a lot of time being carted about in crates, they are constantly groomed (even in the ring itself) and must not have a single hair out of place. They have to stand perfectly still and have their 'privates' squeezed by a total stranger.
Why? It is not for the dog's wellbeing or pleasure, what do you honestly think he gets out of it? It is solely for the status and ego for the owner/kennel name.

Probably most, if not all, of the Working Dogs exhibited have never done a days work in their life, so what sort of example are they if they are not fit for purpose?
I believe working dogs should be judged on their ability to work!

My friend is a retired gamekeeper. She has bred working Cockers and Springers her entire life, and her father did before her. Those working dogs look nothing like the cosseted show specimens.
For one thing, what use is a working Cocker with ears dangling down to its knee caps? Can you imagine those trying to go through brambles? These people breed for 'beauty' not for purpose.

Many of the GD's are so over-exagerated with their sloping backs and weak hocks, I'd be very surprised if they could scale a high fence or do a job of work.

Crufts reminds me of the old human beauty parades, where they just need to please the eye of the beholder/judge, and haven't got a brain between them.

When a Crufts dog gets a high accolade, everyone else with the same breed wants their bitch to go and visit that dog for stud, and his stud fee will increase enormously because he was pulled out by the judge.

Trouble there is, until more recent years, most of these 'champions' were bred through incest through the generations, but the twerps don't care about unhealthy traits being passed on as long as the looks please the judge.

The Agility dogs love it, anyone can see that. They still do their job without being ponced up by an owner with a comb welded to their hands.

Many show people get rid of perfectly happy dogs purely because it is not quite perfect. It's tail might be half an inch to short, or it might have a splodge of colour where it shouldn't be etc. so the poor thing is out on its earhole and disposed of elsewhere.
I don't care if my dog has two heads, I'd still love it and care for it all its life. These people won't do that. It has to go.

I expect there are those who think I am totally wrong, but that's how I feel and I won't easily change my mind.

Well you did ask Swims.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 04:28 PM

I prefer the tiny dogs, little characters packed in a small body. I've recorded it will watch when mind are sleeping they tend to bark at dogs on the tv.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I prefer the tiny dogs, little characters packed in a small body. I've recorded it will watch when mind are sleeping they tend to bark at dogs on the tv.
Can be qu ite nasty.....a chihuahua killed my sister's Great Dane
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 04:53 PM

Not watching it this year but I have shown there many times years ago

Ready for Crufts

Millie/Matty/Flicker/Franny/Emma
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not watching it this year but I have shown there many times years ago
So did I....came 5th in class one year.

Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 05:22 PM

I dont watch for many of the reasons Mups has pointed out.
Crufts has to be one of the unhealthiest places for dog lovers there is.

Watching people who use their dogs as a way of climbing a social ladder and to bolster their ego is sickening. The ones who do it for the money it will bring are worse.
As a dog lover it turns my stomach.

Each and every dog Ive ever shared my home with has been perfect...In my eyes.

What other people think is of no interest to me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
So did I....came 5th in class one year.

What? Not a 1st?
Probably because you growled when the judge gave yours a squeeze.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top