Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wabblewalk
surrey borders
wabblewalk is male  wabblewalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Why ??? Council Chief Executives Salaries

The shocking scale of pay in the public sector is exposed today by a major Daily Mail investigation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stigation.html

What I want to know is do the people paying their wages, like the council local tax payers have a say in the pay they receive, along with their gold plated pensions and charging the taxpayers for their private medical treatments.
It's a smack in the face for people trying to make ends meet and having their taxes put up every year. Across the country, 537 town hall fat cats earned at least £150,000 last year and out of that they cant pay their own private medical health insurance???? These figures are from 2014 so goodness knows what levels they are on now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Re: Why ??? Council Chief Executives Salaries

Originally Posted by wabblewalk ->
The shocking scale of pay in the public sector is exposed today by a major Daily Mail investigation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stigation.html

What I want to know is do the people paying their wages, like the council local tax payers have a say in the pay they receive, along with their gold plated pensions and charging the taxpayers for their private medical treatments.
It's a smack in the face for people trying to make ends meet and having their taxes put up every year. Across the country, 537 town hall fat cats earned at least £150,000 last year and out of that they cant pay their own private medical health insurance???? These figures are from 2014 so goodness knows what levels they are on now.
Good post WW and of course it can't be blamed solely on the 'Nasty' party either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:00 AM

How true.

Reduce waste collection, fail to repair our roads, and a number of other consequences to our not being able to afford what we once could.

Very generous pay and pension awards to our council leaders and plenty of money for bus lanes and cycle lanes, though.

They seem to think they have their priorities right.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

For long enough I have questioned how these people are worth their salaries. Ironically, they continue to rise.

This is salaries for our local council, at the same time they reduce staff in other departments, make others work longer hours and reduce services. Plus increasing annual rates for brown bins , increasing our council tax by almost 5% and giving OUR money in loans to other councils.

It would also seem that single person discount and /or dependants, is not mentioned. I was told I couldn't have it, even though my son who lives with me has mental health illness. I had to have less than a certain amount in saving to qualify. At the same time someone on their own with £100,000 in the bank would be able to claim. Maybe this ruling has now changed for them. Not sure .

It's despicable, and the NHS are as bad if not worse.

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/about-coun...ef-officer-pay
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Hi

A very interesting post.

It just shows the power of the media.

First of all, it is Politicians who set the priorities, not the Officers, so cycle lanes etc have naff all to do with the workers, it is the people you elect.

Personally, I have no time at all for cycle lanes and a whole load of other schemes, concentrate on the core things, not on the rest of the politically inspired twaddle.

Secondly, funding.

We have an Independent body here in the UK, the National Audit Office.

Funding for Councils has fallen by 37% since 2010.

Councils have not been allowed to reduce specific areas, such as Education and parts of Social Services. so the cuts have been skewed, they have to fall on day to day services.

If you take one local council as an example, it has had it's budget cut by £97 million since 2010, a third less each year to spend.

If you were to cut it's Chief Executive's pay and all of the Director's pay by 50%, that would amount to a total of £190,000 a year.

In plain language, a fraction of 1%.

Absolute peanuts.

In reality, it has not cut the pay, it has simply halved the number of Directors.

None of them had any form of Private Medical Insurance as part of their package.

It is a Labour Run Authority, there is no way that they would support Private Medicine.

Turning now to Pensions.

They were in surplus, employees pay for them.

Blair and Brown raided them, so now they are in deficit.

This was continued by Cameron and Osborne.

In the last 2 years before I took Redundancy, my Pension was cut by 30%, I was on a Final Salary Pension, and yes, it was a good one, but one I had paid for, several hundred a Month.

Now, shock horror, we have Brexit.

They need people back, and quicksticks.

Offering Zero Hours Contracts at £35 an hour.

They can naff off.

The private sector and other EU Governments are offering 4 times that and not on Zero Hours either.

They are offering Guaranteed Contracts at 30 minutes a week less than the maximum hours you can work without it affecting your Pension.

The Government is also now paying the lawyers £3,000 a day to act on our behalf.

That is the stupidity of the system.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Redundancies were also an issue. Take redundancy and then be re-employed with the same council.
Beggars belief really !

Our council had the odd £35 million floating around to lend to other councils at the lowest interest rates.

Some of our Directors were given the push,(or should I say 'redundancy') after an enquiry.

This goes back to 2009/10 and 2010/11

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-accounts.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Hi

Well if you live in Cheshire East I can understand that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 06:50 PM

If I'd known when I left school what I now know, I'd have applied for training as a council chief.

Better than winning the Lottery.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-04-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If I'd known when I left school what I now know, I'd have applied for training as a council chief.

Better than winning the Lottery.
Hi

Really?

Please share your expertise with us.

Now would you have managed the cuts?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-04-2017, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Really?

Please share your expertise with us.

Now would you have managed the cuts?
Easy peasy. Sack all the pen pushers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top