Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 09:35 AM

The Professionals

Bought this yestermorn in Sainsbury's - partly because I am a Martin Shaw fan and partly because I remembered it as a good series from way back. Given that it first aired in 1977 I was expecting to find it a bit dated but was pleasantly surprised to find that, apart from the clothes and hair styles, it seems quite timeless.

It is fun watching out for the guest stars - Roger Lloyd-Pack as an arab 'hitman', Phil Davies, looking about 18, as a mentally disturbed gangster, a very young Keith Barron as a scientist run amok etc.,

One most interesting aspect - the females. They actually look like females!! No scruffy jeans, tattoos, piercings or weird hairstyles.

The PC police would probably not allow some of the dialogue these days and the bra burning lot would have a field day - but it really isn't that bad!

10 episodes watched - 47 more to go - bliss!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Re: The Professionals

You will certainly have square eyes after that lot.....enjoy
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Yes the PC brigade have ruined TV dramas like The Sweeny, Professionals and Love Thy Neighbour and replaced them with Big Brother, Love Island and Naked Attraction.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes the PC brigade have ruined TV dramas like The Sweeny, Professionals and Love Thy Neighbour and replaced them with Big Brother, Love Island and Naked Attraction.....
Another good reason not to have a TV set!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

20-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Apparently there was a feeble attempt a while back to 'remake' the series as "The New Professionals" with Edward Woodward in the Gordon Jackson role and with a woman working with Doyle and Bodie - it failed!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 12:17 PM

It used to be one of my favourites back in the day. I always find it interesting seeing actors and actresses when they were younger and normally have imdb to hand for those I have forgotten the names of.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

20-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Was pleased to discover my collection includes the episode that 'they' banned from ever being repeated in UK - though I understand other places have shown it. Having just watched it I can understand why - Tony Blair's F in L is in it!!

Seriously - the real reason is it deals with the KKK and racism - it is quite nasty and very radical for the 1970s.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Was pleased to discover my collection includes the episode that 'they' banned from ever being repeated in UK - though I understand other places have shown it. Having just watched it I can understand why - Tony Blair's F in L is in it!!

Seriously - the real reason is it deals with the KKK and racism - it is quite nasty and very radical for the 1970s.
I suppose they could get away with more in those days, what a horrible thing to see though. It must have caused a few nightmares even then. Also, not a good idea to show the KKK either.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 07:13 PM

A reason I like watching these programmes, is seeing the old cars, ones I remember very well as I passed my test in 1980, and these were on the road everywhere, also, they could park anywhere in London, no cameras bus lanes ect, just pull up at the side of the road and park, I bet it’s changed so much since then..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top