Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Breast ironing

Dear god, as if fgm isn't bad enough now I'm reading about breast ironing for the first time.
Did you know about this dreadful practice?

Breast ironing awareness 'needed in school' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47695169
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Re: Breast ironing

There was once an old custom of binding the breasts here in this country. Not sure exactly when.

This is quite something else. It's really time for Government to make a stand and root out all these customs, making them criminal.
What can the teachers do, they are helpless and they should not be part of the policing of such horrendous activities. ?

Once upon a time, school children had medicals at certain times. Maybe this would be a better option to reinstate.

Can't believe this TBH.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
There was once an old custom of binding the breasts here in this country. Not sure exactly when.

This is quite something else. It's really time for Government to make a stand and root out all these customs, making them criminal.
What can the teachers do, they are helpless and they should not be part of the policing of such horrendous activities. ?

Once upon a time, school children had medicals at certain times. Maybe this would be a better option to reinstate.

Can't believe this TBH.
I've not heard of that in this country but I can recall this being done in China, along with the feet also being bound. This apparently was more for appearance's sake, to make the person more physically 'dainty', rather than anything else.

It's definitely time some stand was taken on all these 'customs'. I believe anyone living in this country should abide by our way of living, not expect to bring in their own 'customs' in this way.

As you stated reintroducing medicals at certain times would reveal anything like this happening. The problem would be by then though that it would be too late for any child treated in this way, some law would have to be introduced to make it illegal in the first place.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:11 AM

It was in this country and went on into the 50s in some villages. I know my gran swore none of her kids or grand kids would go through it so it must have been part of her childhood or she knew family who went through it. We always seem to forget we did a lot of these things in the past and it was education stopped it not legislation. Not saying it shouldn't be illegal obviously but better education would help more IMO
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:34 AM

I have no idea why these things need to be taught at school. shouldn't children be learning maths and English etc. Laws need to be set up to counter all these barbaric practices from far off backward countries and anyone carrying them out, dealt with.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:35 AM

I have just read the report and can’t believe what l have just read!
Poor girls to have that done so as not to attract male attention. Awful, barbaric and very backward thinking.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:36 AM

What on earth was breast binding and why??? It's bizarre what humans inflict on one another. Usually on women.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It was in this country and went on into the 50s in some villages. I know my gran swore none of her kids or grand kids would go through it so it must have been part of her childhood or she knew family who went through it. We always seem to forget we did a lot of these things in the past and it was education stopped it not legislation. Not saying it shouldn't be illegal obviously but better education would help more IMO
I have never heard of anyone ironing their breasts here. Do you mean immigrants were doing it in the 50's?
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:43 AM

I neither understand the practice or why some feel the need to practice this barbaric antiquated behavior. Poor Girls!! It must be excruciatingly painful or at least uncomfortable to have one's body bound in this way.
Leave it to the ancient Egyptian mummies I say.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-03-2019, 11:49 AM

It does seem as though every barbaric practice from around the world is now here, in the UK. Whoopee!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top