Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 05:52 PM

what would you do?

My late husband had one brother who lives locally. Every year for about 15 years, we visited them for lunch on New Years Day. I spent about £300 each year on presents for the family including a neice, nephew and their four children. When he had prostate cancer, I took my husband in his wheelchair to the hospital every day to visit. This was no mean feat I tell you. My brother-in-law never once offered to take hubbie out for a walk to give me a break for an hour or so. Their whole family, all 11 of them came to my son's wedding and all 11 came to hubbies funeral two years ago. Whilst on the phone last night, the sister-in-law casually mentioned that the grand-daughter had got married a few weeks ago. It was a big wedding with a posh reception. Why is it that I feel insulted that it was not considered to invite me? Am I being unreasonable at being upset to be left out? My instinct is to completely write off this side of the family altogether. There, rant over...but what would you do?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Re: what would you do?

I understand your feelings Meg. I am not sure what I would or could do, but I know I would feel hurt and upset. You are not being at all unreasonable, but I don't think I would go as far as to write them off, especially if they were important to me, although this thoughtlessness would make me very cool towards them for a while. I wonder if "in-laws" tend to be left out of things sometimes - I know I experience it occasionally with my husband's sisters.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2011, 07:24 AM

A simple explaination is to treat people as you find them or as they treat you. (the Berlin wall would be rebuilt partially)

It all depends on how much value you place on their friendship.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2011, 11:09 AM

It is a very difficult postion to be in. I would also feel hurt that I had not been invited to the wedding, did you actually know that it was going to take place, please dont write all of them off, but i think i would ask at some point why i was not invited.
Unfortunately this happens a lot, i get told when babies are about to be born and presents are expected, but the everyday but then not kept uptodate on other things.
not an easy one.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Shrug shoulders, move on, no more xmas or birthday prezzies or cards from you and totally ignore them in future and cut them right out of your life as if they don't exist!!!!
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2011, 01:30 PM

No it is not unreasonable to be upset when you feel you have been neglected. How many people have felt they have been snubbed when not given expected recognition. If you feel that you can face a confrontation then ask the appropriate person or people for an explanation as to why you were not included. Depending on what the answer is you can then decide if the relationships have any real value to yourself.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Shrug shoulders, move on, no more xmas or birthday prezzies or cards from you and totally ignore them in future and cut them right out of your life as if they don't exist!!!!

I agree with Uncle Joe.
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2011, 05:13 PM

WHO?.....see, I have forgotten them already. Let them get on with their own spiteful lives......something will happen to them in retribution.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Yep thats the way to go, although know how you feel about the wedding, my son got married and I wasnt even on any photos, I was really upset. Let them go hang,you dont need them.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Dont understand why people think when you are old you dont have feelings any more.Why you are invisible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top