Join for free
Reply
Azure's Avatar
Azure
Chatterbox
Azure is offline
South Glos
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,487
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:40 PM
1

Surplus Clothes

When the Shops are finally open there will be thousands of full plastic bags of unwanted clothes to be given away. including mine!
The Charity Shops will be full to the brim.
Some of these shops in the better areas charge 5.00 for a T Shirt. I understand they sell surplus stock for 1.00 per bag to Traders who sort them out and export them to to other Countries making a very good profit.

Perehaps we should all stop buying things on a whim that we do not really need or want.
Reply With Quote
TessA's Avatar
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 20,958
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:46 PM
2

Re: Surplus Clothes

Noooo! Please don't! I get some lovely clothes from charity shops!
Reply With Quote
Morticia
Chatterbox
Morticia is offline
England
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,186
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:50 PM
3

Re: Surplus Clothes

I chucked loads out last year, pre-chaos-corona-era ... and dammit I want to go out and buy some more now.
Reply With Quote
Azure's Avatar
Azure
Chatterbox
Azure is offline
South Glos
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,487
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:51 PM
4

Re: Surplus Clothes

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Noooo! Please don't! I get some lovely clothes from charity shops!
That is true TessA, you can buy designer fashions in Charity Shops and they sell there best stuff on Ebay.

Reply With Quote
Azure's Avatar
Azure
Chatterbox
Azure is offline
South Glos
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,487
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:52 PM
5

Re: Surplus Clothes

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I chucked loads out last year, pre-chaos-corona-era ... and dammit I want to go out and buy some more now.
Yes, Mortica and they last a lot longer than Chocolate.

Reply With Quote
Morticia
Chatterbox
Morticia is offline
England
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,186
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 08:54 PM
6

Re: Surplus Clothes

Mmmm ....chocolate ... this is why I need some new clothes. Mine are too tight now.
Reply With Quote
Pesta's Avatar
Pesta
Chatterbox
Pesta is offline
North of the South UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,675
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 09:04 PM
7

Re: Surplus Clothes

Originally Posted by Azure ->
When the Shops are finally open there will be thousands of full plastic bags of unwanted clothes to be given away. including mine!
The Charity Shops will be full to the brim.
Some of these shops in the better areas charge 5.00 for a T Shirt. I understand they sell surplus stock for 1.00 per bag to Traders who sort them out and export them to to other Countries making a very good profit.

Perehaps we should all stop buying things on a whim that we do not really need or want.
Thankfully I don't do that Azure. Never have enough dosh

I watched a programme about our (ie from the UK) unwanted clothes being exported to other countries. Half of them were binned because they were dirty, smelly, torn, worn out clothes. I think we were described as 'disgusting'.
There were mountains of them. All chucked as useless.
Reply With Quote
Azure's Avatar
Azure
Chatterbox
Azure is offline
South Glos
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,487
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 09:21 PM
8

Re: Surplus Clothes

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thankfully I don't do that Azure. Never have enough dosh

I watched a programme about our (ie from the UK) unwanted clothes being exported to other countries. Half of them were binned because they were dirty, smelly, torn, worn out clothes. I think we were described as 'disgusting'.
There were mountains of them. All chucked as useless.
They can be usd as land fill, Pesta

The Charity shops in my area only want good as new used clothes or they will refuse them.
Some Supermarkets have large bins that take old clothes and Shoes.

Reply With Quote
Pesta's Avatar
Pesta
Chatterbox
Pesta is offline
North of the South UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,675
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-05-2020, 09:44 PM
9

Re: Surplus Clothes

Originally Posted by Azure ->
They can be usd as land fill, Pesta

The Charity shops in my area only want good as new used clothes or they will refuse them.
Some Supermarkets have large bins that take old clothes and Shoes.


Yes, charity shops only accept good as new clothes or they won't be able to sell them on.

Re land fill of clothes. It would take centuries for those mountains of clothes to rot down. We'll probably living on the moon by then

In the past I've taken clothes I no longer want to a couple of dress agencies near me. They sell them, take a cut when sold and I get the rest.
I've bought from them in the past too, but that was more for my daughter when she was a little sprog.
One of them is still going 30+ yrs later. Really popular with good quality stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.