Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 08:14 PM

potatoes.

I am thinking of cutting the sprouting bits off my old potatoes & planting them in tub-trugs.

Would I need to make drainage holes?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 08:52 PM

Re: potatoes.

You'd need to plant the whole potato although I think you could probably cut a potato in half and hope it sprouts on both halves. I have a few second early seed potatoes on my kitchen windowsill starting to sprout - too early to plant them yet.

Yes - you would need to make drainage holes otherwise the trugs would become waterlogged and any potatoes growing would rot.

Good luck
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 09:36 PM

Re: potatoes.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I am thinking of cutting the sprouting bits off my old potatoes & planting them in tub-trugs.

Would I need to make drainage holes?
We always did - more accurately, my father did. We had thing like spoke wheels behind the tractor to potato seeds in a track.
This was on the farm. For a garden just a tapered hole would suffice.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top