Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Garden Birds

We have quite a few bird feeders in the garden and they attract many species. This morning we had Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Great Tits, Robins and this fine looking Bullfinch coming into his best breeding colours. The picture was taken through the kitchen window so apologies for the quality...

marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Re: Garden Birds

That's a nice selection of birds Barry. I love Bullfinches but don't get them very often. I get all the other usual birds like you but also get Woodpeckers every day which is great, also lots of collar doves!! oh and there are phases when the starlings come to visit as well as Jackdaws.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 12:28 PM

We get tons of Goldfinches. A flock of about 30 come several times a day. It costs us a fortune in Sunflower Hearts. We have to buy them in 12kilo sacks which only last about 3 weeks. Other birds come in as well & eat the seeds that drop on the floor .... or rather the ones that Taffy doesnt hoover up I can never get a photo of them though - even through the window. They are very camera shy Seeing as we only have a small back yard & not a proper garden we dont do too bad for birds

Lovely one of the Bullfinch Plantman
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
We get tons of Goldfinches. A flock of about 30 come several times a day. It costs us a fortune in Sunflower Hearts. We have to buy them in 12kilo sacks which only last about 3 weeks. Other birds come in as well & eat the seeds that drop on the floor ..
I would love to have goldfinches visit the garden. I had a few when I lived in my last house but haven't seen one for a few years!
I buy sacks of black sunflower seeds and a sack of normal seed and neither last very long. It costs me more to feed the birds than it does to feed the animals
I also get a pheasant visit occasionally.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 01:35 PM

That's a lovely pic of the Bullfinch, Barry.

We rarely get a bird in our garden due to there being many cats around. I have occasionally seen a robin and blackbird on the fence but they don't come any closer.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Lovely photo plantman. We do get quite a few birds in the garden, blackbirds, they have a nest in one of the bushes, sparrows and recently we have some small black birds with pink feathers at the top of their breasts, a little larger I think than wrens but so far I haven't got around to looking them up, no idea what they are. We also get owls and hoopoo birds not forgetting the parakeets, so many of them, noisy little things.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 02:41 PM

All we seem to get is the the bigger birds, Rooks, Magpies, Pigeons, even Seagulls. This lot tend to frighten all the lovely smaller ones from trying to feed. Even putting up feeders and small cages for the little ones, does'nt entice them in.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Lovely photo Barry, the bullfinch is a rare visitor to our garden, lovely colouring.
I took a few photos this morning of some fieldfares, never seen them before in the garden!
There were maybe two dozen, all chomping on the windfall apples.
Had to look them up to identify them. The photos are rubbish partly because they were too far away and
mine were through a window too.
Wait until spring John..when the babies are being fed, you'll see the little chaps feeding.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 03:42 PM

John, we get mostly big birds too, seagulls, rooks and those flaming wood pigeons who eat up everything! We do get the blackbirds though, robins, finches and in a bush by my kitchen window there are lots of sparrows chattering away and darting in and out. I was delighted to see them this morning at close hand. Years ago it was swarms of sparrows but not so many lately.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Super photo of the bullfinch! We have one comes around too, am tired of trying to get him on film!

We have bluetits, coaltits, great tits, greenfinches, chaffinches and a pair of collared doves come regularly. Not to mention the blackbirds of course! I like all you others am spending a small fortune on bird seed this cold weather

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top