Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

23-02-2012, 04:52 PM

The Squirrel who came in from the cold.

I write this from the cabinet room of the war office at Hammer Towers, all right it's the broom cupboard really but we are a bit posh on this side of the Pennines.

Our security agencies have reported several recent incidents of cross boundary incursions, thought to be by none other than Sciurus carolinensis, the dreaded grey squirrel.

In the interests of mediation, love for our fellow creatures and being rather desirous to spare if at all possible the effusion of blood our Foreign Bodies Minister, Mr Nigel Chamberpot was deputed to hold a summit meeting with the Officer commanding of the SSS (Special Squirrel Squadron) of the 110th Nutshaw Claw Brigade.

During those talks our Minister handed a final note to his opposite number stating that unless we heard from them by 11.00 a.m. that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from our lands and boundaries a state of war would exist between us.

I have to tell you that no such undertaking was received, and that consequently this household is at war with the bushy tailed menace.

Further communiques from our war correspondent to follow.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Re: The Squirrel who came in from the cold.

Hilarious again Hammer
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 05:39 PM

I look forward to hearing the solution, if any, that further communiques from your war correspondent might help bring to this dastardly situation.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 05:56 PM

So, no peace in our time eh then Hammer? I hope you have a spy already in their camp.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 06:10 PM

As we speak Mr.Janela is advancing forth, hard hat on, armed with one red broom in one hand and walking stick in t'other, upon two of these creatures.....one hiding in the apple tree and the other pilfering water from the bird bath underneath
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

23-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
As we speak Mr.Janela is advancing forth, hard hat on, armed with one red broom in one hand and walking stick in t'other, upon two of these creatures.....one hiding in the apple tree and the other pilfering water from the bird bath underneath
Good luck to him Janela, outside where I can see the enemy is not so bad but our quarry have gained access to the inside of the house, but more of that later.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 06:49 PM

They are cute looking creatures but they can cause untold damage, not to mention the threat to the bird population.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Oh.... that made me laugh, Hammer!

I wish "Our Eileen" was still here, she would have loved this thread ...... I've never know anyone hate the squirrels as much as she did - she used to call them the Spawn of Satan!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Surround them in a pincer movement and cut off their retreat Hammer - then you should have the little blighters at your mercy. Failing that lull them into a false sense of security with food and then move in on them playing a record of Barry Mannilow - that should do the trick and they will take off screaming for the way out.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
... then move in on them playing a record of Barry Mannilow - that should do the trick and they will take off screaming for the way out.
Good luck with the battle!

We had to evict a family of five grey squirrels back in 2004. They moved in while part of the soffit was removed during renovations.

First I ordered fox urine in a pump spray bottle from a hunting supply store.

My daughter went up the ladder and got into position. Several of us (curious neighbours too) stood watch.

Madeleine spritzed the foul stuff into the soffits and a split second later the rodents exploded out of there, hitting the ground running in 5 directions!

We had 2 helpers standing by, ready to cover the holes and with wire mesh and new soffit.

Ended well for us, but they pried loose siding on my neighbours' house and moved into the walls shortly after.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top