Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Leptospirosis

Quote from a Texas Newspaper A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday. The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass. Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them. The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (I.e.). Full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Andy Holmes ( one of Steve Regraves crew)died from this disease as well.

Do you drink straight from a Can or Bottle? If so then think about Weils disease.

You should always use a glass, or do you know different?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Re: Leptospirosis

A day for timely reminders, methinks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:45 PM

That's rather scary when you think of the great number of youngsters who think it is big to drink out of a can these days.

Thanks for bringing it to our notice, Bob.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:48 PM

That's what I was thinking Mags, even the little ones drink out of cans, I've seen them in their pushchairs doing it, of all things. The mums probably don't know the danger and will no doubt have baby wipes in ther bags. Let's hope they put this out on the sites they read.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 07:58 PM

I wash the tops of any tin I open but never thought about soda cans. Thanks for the warning!

Edited to say I just checked this on snopes.com and while the story about the woman in Texas isn't actually true, they do state that humans can contract potentially fatal leptospirosis by ingesting rat urine, if the rat is diseased.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Thank you AB, I will wash all my cans in future and warn the rest of the Family.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 10:58 PM

gee me two do not drink pop but still will wash my cans from now
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2012, 12:21 AM

I heard about this a few years ago on another forum. I don't drink pop either but, if I did, I'd drink from a glass. This also goes for cans of foodstuffs so, before pulling that ring-pull or getting out the can opener, make sure you clean the surface and rim before opening.

A good reminder though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top