Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2012, 11:21 PM

Should older women get pregnant>

Just been reading this little bit and wondered what you all thought about older mums.

My foster mum was more like a grandma and the kids at school did tease a bit and I think I missed out on the girly chats about makeup and clothes that a lot of girls had with their younger mums.

However, I think older parents have more patience and wisdom. I missed an awful lot of my children's growing up look ahead to when they were, walking, talking, going to school and not enjoying their time being small and innocent.

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/britai...r-so-late.html
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: Should older women get pregnant>

I haven't read the link, Cate, but I honestly think it depends an awful lot on a few things as to whether women should have babies in their older years.

1. Are they fit and healthy enough?
2. Are they able to support them financially for at least 20 years?
3. Are there any congenital problems?
4. Are they putting themselves, and the health of their babies, at risk?
5. Are they willing to risk Down's Syndrome, which becomes a serious risk in women over 35?

My aunty had her second child at age 42 in or around 1967, which was a shock as she'd been through menopause (or thought she had). Her first child was born in 1948, so a big age difference in brother and sister. Both mother and daughter were absolutely fine, despite my aunty smoking throughout the pregnancy.

There have been stories in the newspapers of women over 60 giving birth. Now this, I'm sorry to say, I find quite obscene, but that's just my opinion.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 01:57 AM

it depends on the woman of course and many factors need to be taken into consideration, but on the whole i think a more mature woman can be a brilliant mum.

I have several friends who are older mums and i would support them 100%, as at least these babies were planned.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 03:51 AM

my aunty had a baby AT 41 but there was somthing wrong with the baby
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2012, 08:55 AM

I am glad I had finished childbearing by the age of 26. The idea of coping with teenagers into 60s would be awful! My two married daughters completed their families before they were 35, feeling it wasn't wise to leave it any later bearing in mind the complications older women can have. As it is one daughter had a Down's Syndrome scare with her youngest, fortunately all was well.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 09:51 AM

It's going against nature for a woman to have a child in her sixties, in my opinion. There are reasons for the menopause and that is to tell a woman's body they are too old for child bearing. At the age of sixty she will have, probably, if she is lucky, twenty years to bring the child up. And at the age of eighty I doubt she will be fit enough to cope with the earlier stroppy teen years. I don't envy her task.
There is one thing that is almost certain, she won't see her grandchildren.
Is it fair to the child, well I think the child will love her mother regardless of her age.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 11:15 AM

I read the link and think the woman was an irresponsible, selfish nitwit to even think of having a child at 61. She now publicly says she regrets the decision. I have no time for these sort of stupid women - they don't have the capacity for children and should not be helped to have them. I wonder how much she was paid for telling her story and also wonder what the child will think when she is older.
IMO I think artificially trying to have children post menopausal when your body is telling you it is too old is wrong - children are not meant to be brought into the world this way. It is morally wrong and could even be considered exploitative of the child - but that is just my opinion.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 12:02 PM

My mum had me when she was 39 which was considered old back in the 50s. She didn't make any milk so I had to be bottle fed but I have had a healthy life and Mum died when she was 92 also having lived healthily.

I think 50 - 60 is far too old though. Apart from health reasons there will be too much of a generation gap when the child becomes a teenager.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-03-2012, 12:21 PM

My husband's parents waited 14 years after the birth of their first son before they had him. Although they were only in their early 40s they acted more like OAPs and never played anything but board games with him. They got annoyed if he engaged in the usual rough and tumble games you expect kids to play, and generally tried to curtail any normal kiddy behaviour as it tired them! They lived to a ripe old age but he had no affection for them, and their eventual demise was a relief more than anything else.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 12:48 PM

I have just read the article again and I just hope her daughter never reads it when she is older.
That woman truly is selfish, in more ways than one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top