Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Bewildered, annoyed and bloody fuming!!!

I'll make it short guys, otherwise you'll get bored and tell me to get off OFF.

Last year (June) we had the garden landscaped as it had always been scruffy and the next door neighbours are so proud of their little garden which has no grass but is kept immaculate and full of stones, slates, ornaments, lights, plants get my drift. I am not a jealous person and admire their commitment they are both retired now. Just out of the blue one day shortly after we had the garden done, she snapped at my OH he only said can we trim the bush at the front as it's peeping through our fence, she replied very nastily "do what you like".

I am very proud and stubborn and thought stuff you I am not asking what we are supposed to have done. Hence we have never spoken since.

Today, my daughter called round after work she works part time in a Home Bargains shop, my next door neighbours were in the shop and in her queue at the till, they saw her and went to a bigger queue to avoid being served by her.

My daughter doesn't live with us so why on earth should she be snubbed as whatever is the problem does not concern my daughter at all she has done nothing!! Come to think of it neither have we. Everybody says oh there just jealous of your garden, but I don't think so.

What would you do folks? I think I will have to accept it and die not knowing.......

PS sorry for the long short post!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Re: Bewildered, annoyed and bloody fuming!!!

If it were me I'd not let her see anything she said or did bothered me in the slightest. Play her at her own Game. Ignore her, and let her see you don't give a Hoot....even if you do.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:26 PM

If they start being funny with you, next time their hedge is overhanging your garden, trim it and throw the trimmed bits into their garden, it's not illegal to trim neighbours branches that are overhanging your property, but is is illegal to keep them, so you have to give them back.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
If it were me I'd not let her see anything she said or did bothered me in the slightest. Play her at her own Game. Ignore her, and let her see you don't give a Hoot....even if you do.
I do exactly that Roxy, even though it makes me feel like a big kid! I felt really hurt at first but that's worn off now I just feel annoyed especially dragging my family into it, they even ignore my grandson he's only 4 for goodness sake. They are in their late 60's and we have been good neighbours even when the kids were small they never caused any problems. My hand itches to make a connection!! Sorry temper temper.

Jimmy, I would do that but it would make matters much worse as he cleans the front of the house including the street and picks litter up. He is a big gob especially if he's had a pint. Sad B-----d!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 07:39 PM

What would you do folks? I think I will have to accept it and die not knowing...
Kath it really wouldn't bother me, life is too short for petty arguments.
It their bush is encroaching over your boundaries you are entitled to cut it back but technically I think you are supposed to give back the bits you have cut off to the owner.
If your neighbour doesn't want to be served by your daughter why worry, she chose a longer queue, her loss

I refuse to enter into any arguments with my neighbours even one who made life very difficult for some of us when we had a problem with a blocked drain which went through his property. It's a long story but he got a new shed in the process

My motto is smile sweetly and carry on as normal
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

25-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Kath it really wouldn't bother me, life is too short for petty arguments.
It their bush is encroaching over your boundaries you are entitled to cut it back but technically I think you are supposed to give back the bits you have cut off to the owner.
If your neighbour doesn't want to be served by your daughter why worry, she chose a longer queue, her loss

I refuse to enter into any arguments with my neighbours even one who made life very difficult for some of us when we had a problem with a blocked drain which went through his property. It's a long story but he got a new shed in the process

My motto is smile sweetly and carry on as normal
Oh Meg if only I could be like you a bit, unfortunately my mother was very sensitive and upset easily and I take after her but managed to toughen up over the years. Having said that I still don't like confrontation cos' I know I would end up the wounded one!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Two faced, I know, but next time I saw either of them in their garden I would smile sweetly and tell them their garden was looking nice. Might surprise them into saying something nice back.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 10:18 PM

I'm with Aerolor here, if being pleasant to them achieves nothing other than have them wondering why, or what you are up to, it's worth it. I also refuse to have anything to do with neighbours squabbles, and yes they do happen here, but I refuse to stop talking to one lot of neighbours because another lot have fallen out with them. I just mostly mind my own business, say yes and no, hopefully in the right places and get along with everyone, well virtually everyone !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 10:42 PM

I am lucky, my neighbours are as cranky (or more so) than me, so we never have conflict, we just question each others sanity and enjoy the Status Quo.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kath 131 ->
Oh Meg if only I could be like you a bit, unfortunately my mother was very sensitive and upset easily and I take after her but managed to toughen up over the years. Having said that I still don't like confrontation cos' I know I would end up the wounded one!
Kath, I'm just the same as you. I hate confrontation and avoid it wherever possible because I'm of a sensitive nature as well and do get upset easily. However, having said that, I won't be brow-beaten and Jimmy is absolutely right about trimming back and stuff, but this problem is obviously deeper than that, through no fault of your own. It sounds to me like they felt "superior" when they had a nicer garden than you, but for some weird reason now resent you.

I would do as others have suggested and next time you see them over the garden fence, smile, say hello, how are you, your garden looks lovely then, if you get a scowl as your reward, then shrug your shoulders, smile again, then ignore them and just don't "see" them in future. It's their loss, not yours.

Always remember that brilliant Northern saying, Kath. There's nowt as queer as folk.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top