Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Misinterpeted posts

I love this forum and find a lot of members are really nice and full of good advice.

Although, why do some people always misinterpret what you are saying/asking? A simple query on certain vet organisations and I feel as though I have been accused of neglecting my dogs because I am too bothered about spending money on their health.

Can I put this matter straight. I would spend my last penny on my dogs but I do not like being taken advantage off by commercial vet practice when good vets can be found that don't bankrupt you! All I wanted to know was if other members had a similar experience or do vets have their own pricing policy.

Had to get that of my chest thank you.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Re: Misinterpeted posts

Hi Kath. I find this is a persistent problem with internet fora. People often only half read things or latch on to one thing only rather than the whole picture. I'm often infuriated when I ask a question and the only answers I get are to a totally different question! But it's the nature of the beast, I guess.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Oh Crumbs....Is this because I asked you about Pet Insurance? It was not a Put Down, was just thinking about you not getting hit with a huge Vets Bill. I think it takes the Strain that's all. I've had my share of huge Vet Bills (always at the wrong time) and I thought Insurance was the Lesser of Two Evils, so I now use it.
I didn't comment on the Vets Group as I've not heard of them before.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:26 PM

Kath, I haven't seen the original thread but certainly share your view about some vets 'profiteering'.

Rocky was epileptic, and so required medication everyone month - would you believe the vet told me straight to my face without any shame that because they can't charge for prescriptions anymore they have to get people in for check up every 4 months or so to make up for it (for pets on long term meds). Yet he had a £50,000 Range Rover parked outside with an equally expensive 'Vet 1' number plate!!! Disgusted me so much that I switched vets (who said it would be fine if we go every 8 months or so). It's not like they give the tablets away for free - they make a good profit off them as well!

One of our members on Dogsey who also had an epileptic dog told me that before the govt brought in the rules that vets couldn't charge for prescriptions, they would be happy to see your dog once a year for a check up.

Personally I think there should be a cap on profit for vets - because it's a necessity for most of us, not a luxury - and far too often abused.
Anne
UK
Anne is female  Anne has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:35 PM

I had to rush one of my dogs unexpectedly to the vets a couple of weeks ago. As it was a Friday I needed pain meds for the weekend so had no choice to buy them from them. As they were the same pain killers my other dog is on I bought the bigger bottle as I was nearly out of hers. The vet charged me £47.80 the same amount online was 11.99
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Anne ->
I had to rush one of my dogs unexpectedly to the vets a couple of weeks ago. As it was a Friday I needed pain meds for the weekend so had no choice to buy them from them. As they were the same pain killers my other dog is on I bought the bigger bottle as I was nearly out of hers. The vet charged me £47.80 the same amount online was 11.99
i am honestly shocked at the price difference, we are about to become pet owners, i will be sure to look into local vets.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Before my Last Vet retired he told me that Dogs can use a lot of the same Medication Humans do. He told me to go to Highland Health Store and get the Bottles of High Strength Glucosamine Sulphate 1000mg per Tablet. I got 90 for £11. The Vet would have had to charge me more than Double that. It put a new Lease of Life in Pashka as her Joints were getting Stiff.
She also had the Doggie Version of IBS, Again he told me to get Peppermint Oil Capsuls (colpermin) for when she had Tummy Cramps...they worked great too. There were a few other things he told me about, but I forget what they were now.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 10:11 PM

My GP didn't believe me when I told him our Jack Russell was on Predisalone steroids 5mg same as my husband, lot smaller dose though and Piriton hay fever tabs. Last dog had diabetese and had to have human insulin when canine couldn't be got cos of some manufacturing prob. A collie bitch we had was on Frusemide water retention tablets and Digoxin heart tabs. Donkeys years ago a vet told me any medication you give to humans can (in the correct strength) be given to dog.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 09:22 AM

When Phoebe was ill with Pancreatitis she was on a drip at the vets for a week and it cost us £450, she is too old and also has a problem with her spine so she cant be insured but all my other dogs have been with Pet PlanI had a Westie Robbie who as a pup was always running into things, I took him to the vets and he had cataracts. We lived in Blackpool and he went to Hereford to have them removed and the bill was £1,500, not counting for the over night stay for us.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Oh Crumbs....Is this because I asked you about Pet Insurance? It was not a Put Down, was just thinking about you not getting hit with a huge Vets Bill. I think it takes the Strain that's all. I've had my share of huge Vet Bills (always at the wrong time) and I thought Insurance was the Lesser of Two Evils, so I now use it.
I didn't comment on the Vets Group as I've not heard of them before.
Sorry Roxy no it wasn't your comment. I appreciate your suggestion.

I haven't taken insurance out in the past because we decided that as they are constantly upping their premiums we will take our chances and pay the vet if and when it becomes necessary, just not the one we've been using! x

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top