Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Lol

Tonight I used Lol out of context. is this abbreviation over used as an excuse for not having a coherent response to a discussion.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Re: Lol

I never use abbreviations except when I used to send texts, when I had a mobile phone because, in my opinion (IMO) it's lazy and quite honestly, a bit rude; and sometimes I have to try to work out what the abbreviation means. I use English when corresponding.

If I want to say LOL on a forum, I do this or this but I never use those just as a response. I will reply first, then use one of the smiley faces so that people know if I'm laughing, upset, confused or whatever.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Have to agree with Mollie. This flipping LOL, is that laugh out loud, or love you lots? Even our dear leader Cameron got caught out with this when in communication with old Rebekah Brooks. It is sloppy English, and if people can't be bothered with doing without it, then I'm sorry for them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Thing is John, and this is just my personal opinion, the English language is subtly changing under our very noses because of texting and other uses of abbreviation, and school kids have less knowledge of their own language nowadays.

For example, "we should of" instead of we should have. This makes me cringe.

Misplaced apostrophes. I've seen signs saying words likes "mattresses'", "pie's", "wo'nt."

I can't think of any other country in the world who would mis-use their own language in the way other English-speaking countries do.

I saw a sign on a door in my local hospital that read "Cubical" instead of "Cubicle," which totally incensed me!

Of course, the "English" language has been changing from "thee" to "you" et cetera for hundreds of years, but it is disappearing at a great rate of knots. My dear old English teacher would have a fit if she saw how it was used now.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 07:25 AM

LOL,
Loss of Language
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
LOL,
Loss of Language
Sooo true!
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Language evolves. We are seeing the new form of communication, "text" via SMS and now the restrictions of "Twitter" spreading.

What worries me far more is the reduction of the vocabulary that younger people have that plays a significant part in creating frustration because they simply don't know how to express themselves, especially their feelings.

Grammar and syntax are also changing. I use Coordinating Conjunctions with little consideration in informal written pieces, a thing that when I was at school would have seen me being caned (yes, really). And as for splitting infinitives, well I am far more relaxed about this unless now than in the past the effect really does openly create ambiguity.

Otherwise I casually go splitting infinitives with gay abandon .

But language also changes because of ignorance. There's and theirs, insure and ensure, and simple mispronunciation such as ask and axe.

Take the sentence “I asked him” and “I axed him” usually means the same to the person who said it except maybe in certain sink estates and ghettos where “I axed him” is likely to be factually correct.

But let's leave the shocking murder of PC Keith Blakelock aside and hope that if the perpetrators of that crime are brought before the courts.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 11:33 AM

How wrong you are: LOL, LMAO, AFAIK, IMHO, BRB, ROFL etc have nothing to do with texting on phones. They are expressions that date from the early days of BBSs (before the Internet and mobile phones) and were used to denote emotion or shorthand in the days of those slow 300baud modems.

The fact that they are still in use today is a tribute to their effectiveness. Whinging about their use in texting 30 years later misses both the point and the history of their use.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 11:41 AM

I am content with using LOL, LMAO, BRB and all the others. They are just abbreviatons of common phrases.

Where I draw the line is the use of this ignorant sub-English used on places like Facebook. 'Would' spelt 'Wud', 'Please' spelt 'Plz' and so on.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How wrong you are: LOL, LMAO, AFAIK, IMHO, BRB, ROFL etc have nothing to do with texting on phones. They are expressions that date from the early days of BBSs (before the Internet and mobile phones) and were used to denote emotion or shorthand in the days of those slow 300baud modems.

The fact that they are still in use today is a tribute to their effectiveness. Whinging about their use in texting 30 years later misses both the point and the history of their use.
It’s not a matter of the origins of txt-spk, it’s that it’s SMS and Twitter have caused these things to become common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top