Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Re: what would you do?

I agree with Uncle Joe also. As my Mom didn't get along with Dad's side of the family I hardly got to really know my aunts and uncles till my late teens when I visited them for the first time. After Dad died (no one came to the funeral!) I kept in touch for a while,a call perhaps a fortnight or monthly ... always me calling. So, stopped calling to see if they'd keep in touch .... no. Never a call. Made me feel exactly how important a member of the family I was ....

No further contact for years, they are probably all dead by now, but I wouldn't know as no one contacted me

It is hurtful being ignored, isn't it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Whilst on the phone last night, the sister-in-law casually mentioned that the grand-daughter had got married a few weeks ago. It was a big wedding with a posh reception. Why is it that I feel insulted that it was not considered to invite me?
Meg I wouldn't lose sleep over it and as my Dad would say 'look for the silver lining ' which for me in this instance would be not having to buy an expensive outfit, wedding present, or to mix and make polite conversation with people in whom I had no real interest .
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Well said you two,I am at the top of the list for " one to ignore"
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 07:16 PM

I've learnt that life is far too short to waste precious time,effort,emotion & money on ungrateful,unfeeling, selfish folk ... especially family folk who should know you better.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2011, 07:22 PM

I agree with you too, jennywren, it's their loss!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2011, 11:07 AM

I have had a similar situation with my ex partner's kids, a son and a daughter and will have nothing to do with them. Phil died in July this year but nearly died 2 years ago and was in hospital for 3 months. When he came out he rung his son and his partner answered the phone. He asked to speak to Jay heard them talking in the background and then the phone went dead. He had no further contact for 2 years. He had minimal contact wth his daughter usually when she wanted something but basically they forgot about their father for 2 years and then he died. He had made a will in my favour so they could not get anything legally but Jay made a big fuss about having some of his tools. I let him have them only because I did not want them and they were cluttering up the garage but was still very annoyed with his attitude. He displayed no emotion at his dad's death either. At least his daughter did cry although they are both takers and still owe moeny which I know I will never see again and I never want to see them again either.

I just am so pleased I never had any children of my own. Phil did loads for his kids through the years but they ignored him when they knew his health was not good and he was very disappointed in them at the end.

At least I can choose my friends and have no family to cause me any hassle. Thank goodness for that.

So Meg like others have said ignore them, they are not worth getting upset about. Just move on.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

27-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Dog Lover has an excellent point there; our friends may not be blood or legal kin, but some do honestly do make a family! Cherish them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top