Join for free
Page 22 of 52 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 09:57 PM

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The typical screw would be used for all different purposes, and what might be good quality for one operation might not be suitable for another.
So by exceeding the quality specifications, the screw can be used for all purposes.....Surely, by exceeding requirements for one job, might make it suitable for a wider range of use.....thereby increasing sales potential.
Just saying....

Sure, but it doesn't meet those requirements because it breaks. It should have been tested across the full range of applications it was designed for, then tested for repeatability. Looks like its just a screw and marketted using a false label claim

Report them to trading standards
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 12:30 AM

Well it's all grist for the mill. Damned fine debate chaps with only a minimum of bollocking. How civilised One final word on the quality of wood screws. The bottom line for me is this. I buy a packet of Chinese made wood screws from Bunnings right. (This is our largest hardware chain. Massive stores everywhere. Everything made in China) Made of so called "quality steel". They are labelled. "Suitable for soft and hard timber. Suitable for power driving"..I am building a set of bookcases for a newly renovated room. I am using Monterey and Radiata pine which is very soft timber. Out of that packet, no less than 75 % of the crews I use break off at the head with only slow driving. This is the worst failure of any Chinese product I've ever bought admittedly but 75 % !!?. I took all the decapitated head and screws back to Bunnings and they gladly offered to replace them saying "Probably a bad batch"..But only with more Chinese rubbish. I thanked them and declined. They gave me my money back. I bought another lot from Mitre 10..another chain. They were better but some still broke off. I understand a marketing a approach to product failure and the concept of over engineering. But I am not a professional builder. I am a consumer who likes to make things simply but properly. Things that are used by my wife and son that I want to build safely. And I, maybe naively, expect something I buy to work.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 12:48 AM

I'm glad I've got a big jar full of screws
out in the shed. All used and some may
be bent but they don't break.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
I'm glad I've got a big jar full of screws
out in the shed. All used and some may
be bent but they don't break.
So have I mate. Some of them are more than 20 years old and have been used. I managed to buy one lot made in Japan. Excellent quality. America is under fire from many directions right now but I tell you I have seldom bought stuff made in the US that hasn't been top quality. But then again I may be very unusual. Tracking down good stuff not made in China is a bit of a hobby of mine. I have the time and I'm not swimming in dollars to waste on crap so it's worth it..to me.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 03:56 AM

A large part of this problem relates to our importers of Chinese products. If you go to a Chinese manufacturer and say can you make this gadget for $10? He will say , "yes, we can make it out of recycled plastic bottles. It won't last long but we can."
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
So have I mate. Some of them are more than 20 years old and have been used. I managed to buy one lot made in Japan. Excellent quality. America is under fire from many directions right now but I tell you I have seldom bought stuff made in the US that hasn't been top quality. But then again I may be very unusual. Tracking down good stuff not made in China is a bit of a hobby of mine. I have the time and I'm not swimming in dollars to waste on crap so it's worth it..to me.
Mr M has a shed full of screws of all sizes .
Unfortunately being the untidiest man on the planet he can never find what he wants so he goes out ( in ordinary times ) and buys some more ...........
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If a thing ticks all the boxes it is high quality.
If it ticks all the boxes isn't it called a pen?
keezoy
Australia

09-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Gggggggroan. Then I laughed. But Bruce it is a good quality pen!?...........
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Brilliant!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:42 AM

In a perfect world we would only buy good quality Items, and the producers of the cheap rubbish would go out of business.

Unfortunately too many people aren't interested in quality and take delight in telling people how much money they saved buying cheap tools and materials. Isn't this one of the reasons we are in the sh$t we are in buying sub standard products from foreign lands and putting our own skilled workers on the dole. Apprenticeships and skilled workers are a dying breed in the UK.

An old skilled metal machinist taught me my trade, but I haven't taught anyone because the products I made can all be bought cheaply from China, so when I go, my skills will go with me...

Page 22 of 52 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top